Cellar Craft showcase yakima chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ibglowin, you have peaked my interest on NOT using sorbate for dry wines. Why do we add the sorbate? And if the wine tastes better without it, do we really need to add it??
smiley5.gif

It's an insurance policy.

Just in case your fermentation didn't finish and there are viable yeast (or mold) still floating around, the sorbate would inhibit the restart of fermentation and (theoretically) corks popping down the road as the pressure built up.

I added it to my first 4 kits (2 reds and 2 whites) and have not added it since. I also added it to my Viognier as it had a reserve pack with sugar.

I don't think you can taste in in reds so much as in whites or at least that has been my experience to date.

O.K. recieved my Yakima Chardonnay and reconstituted and starting SG was 1.102. Pitched the yeast and it is happy right now and smells wonderful. The oak that came with it is acacia, i think i will leave it in there for three months but i will taste itlong the way as a washington chard is more fruit foward. If this turns out anywhere near some of the commercial washington chards that i have tried i am going to be one happy man!!!!! I wil report back when i have some tasting impressions.

Back