Should Yeast be Added to Fresh Grape Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forest813

Junior
Reaction score
I've been making my wine from unpasteurized (fresh) grape juice from California for years without adding yeast. Would it be better to add yeast? What is your opinion and why?

Yes, I would add your own yeast. I would first Kmeta it, wait 12 hours, then pitch the yeast of your choice.

The reason why I do it that way is that I have no idea what yeast has taken residence in the vineyard that the fresh juice came from, so I don't know if it will ferment out to dry or give up the ghost before completion.

If you have been buying from the same place for years, and are happy with the results - that is a reason to keep doing what you are doing.

The risk is there are other micro organisms that, given the chance, will spoil the wine. An established vineyard may have enough good yeast to overwhelm the enemy before they have a chance. If you like the flavor profile of the wild yeast, then that is the risk you have to take.

The benefit of killing off everything first, and then adding your own yeast is: that you have killed off everything else (or at least have substantially reduced their strength) that when you innoculate with your yeast, your yeast will take over before anything else has a chance.

How much Kmeta is recommended for a 23L batch?
1/4 teaspoon of K-Meta. then, wait a day or two. If you add your yeast right away, you will kill it with the k-meta.

FYI: there are other things you might want to do to fresh juice to enhance the final product. adjusting the ph, and other acids, tannins, etc.

Last edited:
First, I would check with your supplier. Many times, bucket juice comes already treated with kmeta and some still may be already inoculated with cultured yeast.

Back