Should muscadine wine be completely dry?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
Seems to me it should be semi sweet. I know it depends on taste. I like dry wine but I am thinking muscadine should be about 1.005 to 1.010.

What is your opinion?

I just sweetened to what I thought tasted good. Seamed a little flavorless dry but the sugar brought out some good flavors. I didn't use much. Maybe 1 cup in 2 gallons. I didn't take an sg reading though. Also these where wild ones and it wad my first year making muscadine.

The sugar does bring out the flavor much better than just dry. Test two glasses, one 1.005 and the other 1.010. I backsweeten to 1.010 on mine that is where the flavor seems to be the best.

olusteebus said:
Seems to me it should be semi sweet. I know it depends on taste. I like dry wine but I am thinking muscadine should be about 1.005 to 1.010.

What is your opinion?

I have a dry Concord right now that doesn't taste very good. But when I backsweeten a bit, it turns out great.

Let your taste buds judge whether it is good dry or better backsweetened a bit.

I have several gallons bulk aging. My local winery makes great muscadine. Their best IMHO is sweetened to 1.010. I'll be testing mine when they're ready with different sweetening levels.

Thanks to all. I was thinking a little sweet would be the way to go. I will try 1.005 and 1.010.

One thing to consider. I made about 10 gallon of muscadine wine in 2011. I let it age for 12 months and slightly sweetened it before I bottled it. Some of the first bottles that I opened in the fall of 2012 was a little dryer than I wanted them to be. This was one year old wine. by the time that we opened the last bottles this past month which was about 17 months old, I was so glad that I had not sweetened any more than I had originally sweetened. The last bottles were perfect. My point is don't over do it up front.

Latest posts

Back