Should I be racking this again?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Khristyjeff

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMG_1233.jpegHi all. This is an Australian Cabernet Sauvignon Wine Kit - RJS En Primeur Winery Series and my second attempt at wine making. This kit included wine skins that I squeezed the juice out of. My question is in regards to the sediment in the bottom. Should it be there or do I need to rack it again now? I remember reading here that lees can cause off tastes and the wine is supposed to sit there for 6 weeks then racked and bottled. Obviously, I've already been through primary and secondary, then racked into this carboy while adding potassium Metabisulphite & Potassium Sorbate then Kieselsol & Chitosan. The SG was below 1.000. Thanks for any help you can give. I've already learned a lot from this site.

yes rack now then again in three weeks on off fine lees. then every three months thereafter. add k-meta every three months

And as He says you shouldn't waste your time and bottle at 6 weeks but at about 12 months OR longer. Aging wine in bulk will give you a clearer wine and let you know what you've got when you bottle. Bottling at 6 weeks, if you sample it then... it's going to be rather sharp and far different than when it's a mature wine at 12 to 24 months from fermentation.

And as He says you shouldn't waste your time and bottle at 6 weeks but at about 12 months OR longer. Aging wine in bulk will give you a clearer wine and let you know what you've got when you bottle. Bottling at 6 weeks, if you sample it then... it's going to be rather sharp and far different than when it's a mature wine at 12 to 24 months from fermentation.
Thanks for responding Scooter. Since this is only my second wine kit, my temptation is to follow the directions exactly, but you've convinced me to age in the carboy. Now I need to send off for some k-meta! Thanks again for you help.

Most of us understand that temptation. I bottled my first wine at 4 months,. It was a blueberry from my homegrown blueberries. I was so proud of it. When I shared it with friends about a month later - it was good, not great but good. About 5 months later I opened another bottle and WOW! It was so much better. I was starting to learn about the payoff of being patient.

Now you can age it in the bottle, however; once bottled the temptation to share it drink it etc is strong, I mean it's just one bottle anyway. Right?
IF you really want to you can bottle it once it's crystal clear and that won't neccessarily be bad. Sadly though, there are those who later find more sediment dropping out or the wine may cloud up for seemingly no reason. That doesn't mean your wine went bad, it just loses some eye appeal. If you have another kit or you are ready to make another batch now, well, go ahead and bottle this one at 6-10 weeks, if it's clear. Count it as a learning process. Just keep in mind that red wines normally take longer to age/mature and that's when a wine goes from good to GREAT. Normally a red wine less than 6 months old is going to be drinkable, but probably not all that much to talk about.

Most of us understand that temptation. I bottled my first wine at 4 months,. It was a blueberry from my homegrown blueberries. I was so proud of it. When I shared it with friends about a month later - it was good, not great but good. About 5 months later I opened another bottle and WOW! It was so much better. I was starting to learn about the payoff of being patient.

Now you can age it in the bottle, however; once bottled the temptation to share it drink it etc is strong, I mean it's just one bottle anyway. Right?
IF you really want to you can bottle it once it's crystal clear and that won't neccessarily be bad. Sadly though, there are those who later find more sediment dropping out or the wine may cloud up for seemingly no reason. That doesn't mean your wine went bad, it just loses some eye appeal. If you have another kit or you are ready to make another batch now, well, go ahead and bottle this one at 6-10 weeks, if it's clear. Count it as a learning process. Just keep in mind that red wines normally take longer to age/mature and that's when a wine goes from good to GREAT. Normally a red wine less than 6 months old is going to be drinkable, but probably not all that much to talk about.
Since My first wine kit is bottled (an everyday wine Merlot) and bottled early according to instructions, I'll be able to compare the 2. I tasted the Merlot at bottling and as advertised it was drinkable but tasted nothing like any Merlot I'd ever tasted. I told my wife we're not going to touch it for 6 months (ok I said we might try one at 3 months) but I want it to be better. Thanks again for your help. I'm really enjoying this new hobby.

Back