RJ Spagnols Should I add nutrient?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sremick

Reaction score
So I'm on day 9 of primary fermentation. Instructions say about 6-8, so I'm still close enough to not be overly concerned. Fermentation has slowed way down... instructions say to rack to the carboy for the next step at 1.020. In the past 2 days I've only dropped from 1.060 to 1.040. Bubbles in airlock are about 1 every 5 seconds +/- 1.

Should I wait it out, or should I give it a boost with some Fermaid-K? Something else? Welcome input... thanks!

have you been stirring the fermentation every day?
Just about.

a small dose of fermaid k should work.
Still contemplating this. Today I read that there was no point to adding nutrient once it hits 1.060 and that there can be negatives to adding unneeded nutrient that won't be used.

I would try racking it.
That would give it some oxygen that may get the yeast kicking again.
According to your bubble rate and gravity, you should be fine in a carboy.
Maybe save a bit in a gallon jug or a few mason jars in case the fermentation speeds up.

If that doesn’t fix you, you can try something else.

What temp? What yeast? What kit?

Warming it is out.

Did you rack it?
How’s it going?

Last edited:
It had coasted to 1.000 before I caught it and racked it a few days ago. It's still bubbling in the carboy now. Not sure where it's going to finish at. I didn't end up adding any nutrient.

All is good then!
My first and only RJS Malbec kit (EP) took 4 weeks to get down to 0.996.
I thought it was my fault because I substituted 1118 with RC212 and racked to a carboy kinda early (1.024).
I guess it is what it is then.

Should I stop it at 0.996, or let it coast until it seems to stop? This is only my 2nd kit.

It's certainly slowed, but hasn't completely stopped yet.

Should I stop it at 0.996, or let it coast until it seems to stop? This is only my 2nd kit.

It's certainly slowed, but hasn't completely stopped yet.
If you are concerned just pitch another half pack of EC-1118 yeast. I had one that was slow around 1.020...bad yeast maybe? I just added more yeast and it finished dry.

Back