shiraz kit recommendation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittspur

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm trying to pick a quality shiraz kit and am wondering if anyone could compare and contrast a few of the kits.

1. WE Selection International Australian Shiraz
2. RJS Cellar Classic Grande Shiraz
3. RJS Cellar Classic Shiraz
4. CC Sterling California Reserve Syrah

The WE and RJS are 15L kits. The CC is 12L, but does come with grape skins. Pretty sure the WE does not have skins. Don't know if the RJS kits have skins. Has anyone made more than one of these choices and could make a recommendation?

I have found that you get the best results from the premium wine kits, especially the ultra-premium.

That said, I would go with the RJS En Premier Shiraz. It will be a big, bold wine. It will take awhile before it is ready, but will be much closer to what you would expect from a good commercial wine in the $15 to $20 dollar range.

If that is not what you want, for a big wine like a shiraz, always go with a kit that has a grape pack.

Robie, thanks for the feedback. That is on the list, but not sure if I want to get to that price level. It's close to $70 more than the RJS Cellar Classics and $40 more than the WE.

Robie, thanks for the feedback. That is on the list, but not sure if I want to get to that price level. It's close to $70 more than the RJS Cellar Classics and $40 more than the WE.

Yep, I know what you mean. Problem with me is that after a long wait, when it is finally time to drink the wine, I have a tendency to say, "Hm-m-m, if I only would have gotten the better kit.....".

One thing I can say, I surely do like those Cellar Craft grape pack kits. Next in line would be the RJS kit.

Pittspur:

Those Cellar Classic kits do not have grape skins. The Grande Shiraz is designed as a full-bodied wine.

The Cellar Classic Winery Series California Syrah comes with grape skins (jam-like in a big jar).

I don't have any personal experience with the kits in your list. But of those four, I would probably go with the Grande Shiraz. When I ran a Ferment on Premises, I received some very good feedback on that kit.

Steve

Hi All, I'm trying to pick a quality shiraz kit and am wondering if anyone could compare and contrast a few of the kits.

1. WE Selection International Australian Shiraz
2. RJS Cellar Classic Grande Shiraz
3. RJS Cellar Classic Shiraz
4. CC Sterling California Reserve Syrah

The WE and RJS are 15L kits. The CC is 12L, but does come with grape skins. Pretty sure the WE does not have skins. Don't know if the RJS kits have skins. Has anyone made more than one of these choices and could make a recommendation?

I made the RJS Grande Shiraz almost a year ago and at 6 months it was my go to wine. I only have 6 botles left and it sure is a great wine...2 thumbs up

I can't give you any feedback on the cellar craft sterling series kit yet. I'm only half way thru primary fermentation on the kit right now. I can say it is smelling pretty good though. If it is even half as good as the cellar craft red mountain cab. I did a year ago I'll be happy with it.

Hate to confuse things further with another kit not on your first list, but I just racked a CC Showcase Yakima Valley Syrah after two months on the included oak cubes. I've got to say this is shaping up to be a really good wine. It hasn't developed the peppery notes yet, but lots of varietal character.

It's about $50 more than the CC Sterling Syrah, but pretty close to some of the others you listed.

Jim

I have the RJS Winery Series and its a very very good wine! One of the best kits Ive ever made right after the RJS En Primuer Amarone and the RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan.

Thanks for all of the feedback. I will probably be buying one of these for myself at Xmas. Racer and Phermenter, please keep me updated with your CC progress.

I'm about to start my 2nd CC Showcase S Africa Shiraz kit. Impressed with the first one after only 5 months. It has a 2 L grape pack. Also a good idea to get a 30 L fermenter bucket for all the activity in early stages of fermentation.

Latest posts

Back