SG before first rack.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A 5 gal. kit of Reisling. It has been over 4 weeks since starting this batch and I have been stuck at SG of 1.000 or .998 for 3 days. I'm not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?
Thanks!

A 5 gal. kit of Reisling. It has been over 4 weeks since starting this batch and I have been stuck at SG of 1.000 or .998 for 3 days. I'm not sure what to do now. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Some wines just never get below .998, nothing really to worry about. Since you've been there steadily for three days, declare fermentation completed and move on to the next steps in the process, according to your kit instructions. Typically, it'll be time to rack off of the lees and into a properly sized vessel with an airlock, add sulfite, and it's a good time go ahead and top up as well.

I noticed that the Vintners Best wine bases say their final S.G. is 1.000 and that's been my experience. I am trying to figure out how they are able to make it stop there since they don't know what yeast is used. I suppose it's unfermentable sugars or something?

Back