WineXpert Selection International with Grape Skins kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpfan

Reaction score
A new product line from Winexpert. Only 4 varieties at the moment. The following stolen from their web-site
http://www.winexpert.com/read?articleid=655

•16.4 litres of juice and concentrate and 1.6 litres of grapeskins—18 litres total
•Six week winemaking schedule
•Layered flavour and a complex profile
•Bolder flavours and aromas
•Country of origin designation
•Drinkable at 3 months of age, with potential for cellaring
•Labels Included!

We are excited to have these four great varieties available in stores this September: Australian Petite Verdot, Chilean Malbec Shiraz, Sicilian Nero D'Avola and Spanish Tempranillo.

Steve

Petit Verdot! Now that sounds nice. I missed out on it when it was a special order awhile back.

I would love to try a Cab Franc and Petit Verdot blend of my own.

I thought WE had decided grape packs/skins were a waste of time and money... Maybe not, huh.

I am going to be all over that Petit Verdot like white on rice especially if I can't pick up any fresh petit verdot from down south in a few weeks!

I am going to be all over that Petit Verdot like white on rice especially if I can't pick up any fresh petit verdot from down south in a few weeks!

With a grape pack included, it really should be pretty good. When the Petit Verdot was available a years or so ago, I heard lots of good things about it. Now it looks to be an unlimited edition.

When I was in Paso Robles two seasons ago, I sampled a Cab-Franc/Petit Verdot blend that won lots of ribbons internationally. I really liked it and would love to make something of my own of that blend. Not sure where I would get the cab franc, though.

Did all the P.V. get frozen out down south of you?

No, the reds are fine but I don't think there is a whole lot of petit verdot and it may all be spoken for to the big wineries. I only need a 100 lbs! Please Mr. Vineyard Manager...... :e

So the four new kits from WE are available for pre order to ship in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
A new product line from Winexpert. Only 4 varieties at the moment. The following stolen from their web-site
http://www.winexpert.com/read?articleid=655
Steve

Steve, if not mistaken, I believe you have quite a background in W.E, so maybe you can answer this for me-
Is the wine in WE kits actually from the countries mentioned or are they like some of the other kit maker's where the wine is actually from California and only in the "style" of that country's wine.

Ex: I would also think the Chilean Melbec/Shiraz is really from Chili and not a California wine made in the "style" of Chilean.
I believe WE Sonoma Country Pinot Noir is REALLY from Sonoma County.

What can you tell me?
Thanks

Sorry Robie, I don't have much of a background in WE kits. Vineco, and Spagnols were what we sold in the store.

However, I have had the pleasure of listening to Tim a couple of times, and reading his posts online. Plus I'm pretty sure that the situation at WE is the same as at Vineco and RJS.

So, if it says a country or location of origin...believe it. It it doesn't say a location of origin...don't make one up. IE a Valpolicella isn't necessarily Italian sourced. But an Italian Valpolicella will be from Italy.

Hope that helps, Steve

Thanks.
Just curious; had read a post somewhere else where a Mosti Ren. Australian Chardonnay had a sticker on it that said the kit was made in Canada and the grape source was USA.

I wish the kit makers would get together and agree on a little better disclosure.

I would be PO's big time if I ordered that kit and the juice had switched to US. Perhaps they think they can get away with it by saying its an Aussie style meaning lots of oak.....

I would be PO's big time if I ordered that kit and the juice had switched to US. Perhaps they think they can get away with it by saying its an Aussie style meaning lots of oak.....

Ausie style is a little heavier, darker, high brix chard. Basically a hotter growing region. Since from the USA, sounds like the chard is a California, central valley (hot region) product, compared to an Oregon or Washington. Of course there are several cooler regions in California that grow some nice softer chardonnays, but I doubt that kit's grapes came from such a cool place.

Received my Petit Verdot kit today. Can't start it for several weeks till I bottle something and free up a carboy. Comes with juice, grape pack (more liquid in the grape pack than I expected), three kinds of oak (toasted powder, french chips and American cubes). Yeast is two packages of Lavlin Bourgovin RC 212. Instructions don't mention two yeast packs so I might email WE and double check to use both. Other chemicals and additives as usual. I'm going to try my best to follow the instructions (hahaha) but will bulk age. I doubt I will run this through the Valial barrel since that would be a large tweak and I really want to judge the kit on it's own. One interesting note is that the grape pack has it's own label on it saying Australian Petit Verdot. I'm pretty pumped about this.

Tony, that sounds realy great. May I ask where you bought the kit and how much you paid? I have seen this kit priced from $109.95 to $159.95 on the internet. I would like to try the Nero d'Avola in the series. Thanks.

Keep us posted Tony, very interested in how this guy turns out and if it has any "bubble gum" essence. I would soooo run this through the vadai to open it up. Did you find this locally? Shoot me a PM.

Southern Homebrew is having a huge sale on these kits. I just bought the malbec/shiraz.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, if it says a country or location of origin...believe it. It it doesn't say a location of origin...don't make one up. IE a Valpolicella isn't necessarily Italian sourced. But an Italian Valpolicella will be from Italy.

Hope that helps, Steve

Sounds exactly right to me, and what I would infer from their literature.

Isn't it because of the Protected designation? As in you cannot call a wine Chianti UNLESS it came from the specific Italian region and so, it is called Chianti style.

Latest posts

Back