WineXpert Selection Estate Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet Sauvignon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
This stuff is unbelievable! It's not even 2 months old, and I used less than half of the supplied oak. Followed the rest of the instructions pretty well. If you've ever had a truly excellent Cab, but thought you'd never pay $100+ for a bottle, you really need to try this kit. I've had many bottles of "very good" 90-92 rated Cabs at ~$40 a bottle that can't keep pace with this gem.

The description described the oak attribute as "heavy" so I cut it way back for my personal taste. They use 2 packs of dust for fermentation and 2 packs of chips for aging. I used about half a pack of the chips in fermentation (about 10 days in primary) and the other pack of chips in secondary. I'd say ther oak character is moderate in mine.

The color is among the darkest reds I've seen. The aroma is awesome. The flavor is complex and perfect with a really good steak. I can't wait until it's 2 years old, if any of it makes it until then.

Geronimo, I like dry wine also. I use the grape pack in the primary, squeeze it daily, remove it at SG of about 1.010 and still ferment it to dry (SG of 0.992 or so). It does not affect the sweetness if done in the primary and it does add a little sugar to the process resulting in a slightly higher ABV. I feel it gives the wine more body, flavor and color due to the additional TDS.

Hey Geronimo,

I may need to put this one on my list for a kit to try in the new year, sounds delicious. The quantity of supplied oak sounds like overkill and I can't imagine using the dust but then I'm new to all this so really don't have a clue.

Sorry, I still didn't catch if this has a grape pack or not.
If so, does the grape pack need to be pressed after the primary, and what equipment does that involve?

Thanks,

Dave, I am virtually certain that the WE Selection Estate series does not have a grape pack. It is, however, a 16 liter kit and one of the best that WE makes. If I were making it, I would add either a grape pack or a couple pounds of raisins to give it more taste and body. When I used a grape pack, I put it in a mesh bag and drop it into the primary fermenter. I squeeze it twice daily usually as it floats to the top. When using raisins, I pulse them in a food processor or rough chop them with a knife before putting them into the bag. I squeeze them also. Just squeezing by hand and wringing them out works fine.

Dave, I am virtually certain that the WE Selection Estate series does not have a grape pack. It is, however, a 16 liter kit and one of the best that WE makes. If I were making it, I would add either a grape pack or a couple pounds of raisins to give it more taste and body. When I used a grape pack, I put it in a mesh bag and drop it into the primary fermenter. I squeeze it twice daily usually as it floats to the top. When using raisins, I pulse them in a food processor or rough chop them with a knife before putting them into the bag. I squeeze them also. Just squeezing by hand and wringing them out works fine.

Cool, are grape packs sold along side the kits (i.e. by the same vendors)?
Are there different types of grape packs (e.g. Cab, Merlot etc.)
Raisins appeal to me too, like to find some quality raisins rather than the heavy sulfited ones at the grocery store.

Should have put some in with my blackberry wine, I think they would have added a lot to it. Learned a lesson there, got the alcohol content but lacking much rich flavor ... could always back flavor or blend I suppose.

They were selling the grape packs separately bust just stopped about 1 month ago. Now you need to buy one that includes one like Cellar Craft or RJS Winery Series or Mosti Impressions Each on e of these manufactures has different grades also, for example RJS also has the EN Primeur series which is top of the line, Mosti has a Masters etc......

Like Wade said, the separate packs are a thing of the past. George handled them in Syrah and Cabernet Sauvignon. I think the vendor (which I believe was Cellar Craft) felt the packs were costing them kit business when people bought someone else's kit and used Cellar Craft's grape pack.

As far as raisins are concerned, Whole Foods (if you have one nearby) carries an organic Red Raisin, I understand. The Whole Foods near me does not carry it, but out West, they may. People that can get those raisins use them. I have been getting by with just Sun Maid raisins, both red and white.

What I and others possibly are planning to do next year is to get a lug or two of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, crush them, cook them down (reduce the water) and then vacuum seal them for later use.

Can't help you with the Blackberry wine. As far as adding to it, a lot of people use Elderbery packs for fruit wines. I would try some of the dried fruits that Sam's Club carries, like dried cherries, blueberries, etc.

Another thought on your blackberry wine, you said it lacked the rich flavor although it had the alcohol content you wanted. Sometimes the two are related. The alcohol overwhelms the flavor of the wine. You could make an f-pack with balckberies and add it to the wine and that will increase the flavor and also the sweetness.

Yep, if you are looking for more flavor then adding some berries will do it or if you can find this product below in the link I provide this will work wonders although it will sweeten it also. Thos stuff is gold if you want more flavor and some sweetness, its pure concentrated fruit so no fake crap!!! They make a few other flavors also, I havent tried them all but I can tell you this and the Raspberry is to die for. A few places sell it around but you just have to find them. Mostly like little import food stores.
http://www.faaimports.com/Marco-Polo-Blackberry-Syrup-33oz_p_97.html

Good thoughts Rocky and Wade!
I'm beginning to see that the Cellar Craft kits that do include the grape packs are superior in that regard.

I'm not worried about the blackberry, heck, I learned that given the conditions that I gave it, it will, indeed, make alcohol.
This in itself is a good lesson, mission accomplished for my first batch.

Now that I have proved to myself that that is no problem, lets move on to more of the things that make a good wine ... well, good.

I have some very sweet cherry balloon wine that a close friend of mine made.
It's actually very tasty and has some alcohol but it's much too sweet for my taste.
I'll age my blackberry for 6 mos and see if it has any more flavor at that time.
If not, I'll take some cherry and use that to sweeten the wine using the Pearson Square to see if I can blend them to make a better wine.
It won't go to waste ...
... would like to move on up to the quality wines ... I'm pretty good at following instructions, if a kit does, indeed, have good instructions then I believe that I can meet or exceed what the average "first kit" wine maker can do.

Hey Wade,
Speaking of raspberry wine ... that will be my next berry attempt.
I've got enough frozen berries for a couple of gallons in the freezer (perhaps 8#)
Perhaps a batch fermented closer to 72*F will retain some nice raspberry flavor and with the addition of the Raspberry sweetening mentioned above, make a nice wine.
I'm tempted to add something (such as a handful of raisins) to add body and some taste to the raspberry.

Thanks guys,

Last edited:
I wouldn't be inclined to add anything for flavor. This kit packs a TON of fruity flavor and plenty of body (med to full). It does however lack some of the tannins, which a grape skin pack would provide.

The oak is really subjective, and I've used 2 packs total on both kits I've made (the 2nd one is in secondary). I didn't use the oak dust in either. My initial kit is still young but already quite good. The other (3 weeks since I started fermenting it) has the tartness in the finish that seems to be dissipating in the first kit. I can tell these will be excellent with about a year of time in the bottle. It's unfortunate about the grape packs... I wonder what happened. Without the tannic bite they seem more similar to a Merlot than a Cab Sav.

Anyone have any experience adding tannic acid? Just curious if that would help supplant the skins.

I think this WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet is one of my top three favorites, even though it does not include skins. They are doing something right with this kit, I've made it three times now and it's always terrific.

I think this WE Lodi Ranch 11 Cabernet is one of my top three favorites, even though it does not include skins. They are doing something right with this kit, I've made it three times now and it's always terrific.

What are the other 2?

What are the other 2?

LOL

I'm fond of the Kenridge Founders Series Shiraz/Grenach/Mourvedre and the W.E. Estate Series Barolo.

I haven't tried any of the new WE kits that have the grape skins, my local vendor hasn't received those just yet, but I'll surely try those as well.

I haven't tried any of the new WE kits that have the grape skins, my local vendor hasn't received those just yet, but I'll surely try those as well.

I didn't even know they were making any. I'll have to watch for those.

UPDATE: I just made the WE Petit Verdot kit with skins and it's very nice right out of the primary.

UPDATE: I just made the WE Petit Verdot kit with skins and it's very nice right out of the primary.

Sounds great. Don't be tempting me like that! :slp

I have never made a Petite Verdot, but would really like to someday soon.

Oak for secondary

This stuff is unbelievable! It's not even 2 months old, and I used less than half of the supplied oak. Followed the rest of the instructions pretty well. If you've ever had a truly excellent Cab, but thought you'd never pay $100+ for a bottle, you really need to try this kit. I've had many bottles of "very good" 90-92 rated Cabs at ~$40 a bottle that can't keep pace with this gem.

The description described the oak attribute as "heavy" so I cut it way back for my personal taste. They use 2 packs of dust for fermentation and 2 packs of chips for aging. I used about half a pack of the chips in fermentation (about 10 days in primary) and the other pack of chips in secondary. I'd say ther oak character is moderate in mine.

The color is among the darkest reds I've seen. The aroma is awesome. The flavor is complex and perfect with a really good steak. I can't wait until it's 2 years old, if any of it makes it until then.

I just bottled a batch of this kit last month and I didn't have any oak for secondary fermentation. Is this a change or did I miss something?

Latest posts

Back