WineXpert Selection Chardonnay/Semillon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trubador

Reaction score
This will be my second wine kit. I learned a lot from the first one. Anyone make this particular kit?

I mainly drink red wines, but from time to time, I like to drink whites
and I do like to cook with whites as well. So I figured that I
had better make a white and let it age in my cellar
smiley1.gif

any tips/tricks for this particular wine? ferment temp?
extra time in carboy? etc... Or should I just follow
directions and let it get happy!

- Jorma

The temp for any kit is 72* - 75* and extra time in the carboy is a carboy is always good.

All Winexpert wine kits whether red or white are made using the same parameters. Unlike working with fresh grapes, the color of the grape does not change the fermentation temperature. I have found that all wine kits ferment best in the 70-76 degree range. Fermenting in the 60's can result in stuck fermentations at the 1.000 - 1.010 s.g. range.

At what point in the process is it appropriate to put the carboy in my
cellar which is 58 degrees currently and will rise into the very low
60's during the summer?

once I add the stabilizers and clarifiers?

I've made this kit twice. Once going by the instruction with good results and 6 months aging. The second time I used the buttery-ChardonnayTechnique with much better results. http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htmIf I ever make this kit again I will use the Buttery-Chardonnay technique and add some oak. Probably will go with a Light toast American oak.

Angell Wine said:
I've made this kit twice. Once going by the instruction with good results and 6 months aging. The second time I used the buttery-ChardonnayTechnique with much better results. http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htmIf I ever make this kit again I will use the Buttery-Chardonnay technique and add some oak. Probably will go with a Light toast American oak.

Interesting! What was the main difference in taste between the two techniques? Was there really a noticable "creaminess" to the wine with the above technique versus the straight up?

Would any "off flavors" develop from keeping the wine on the yeast for over a month?Edited by: Trubador

Ive never done this technique but I know that alot of wineries do this
with their wines but do not use the lees from the primary as these can
turn bad easily. They use the lees from the secondary and this is
called surlees. It is supposed to give it more of a mouth feel and
extra body.

With the surlees technique, it gives a more mouth feel like wade said. Heavy or syrup like feel. Here's more Info : http://www.brsquared.org/wine/.
If you decide not to use this technique your wine will still be good or better than most store bought wine, but if feel a like trying something different in the wine making ream, try the buttery-Chard trick. You will rewarded for your efforts.

Latest posts

Back