Sediment Issues

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jocelyn

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just has a dragons blood that was crystal clear for one month and when I bottled it within 1 week there was sediment. I have made many kits and have had this problem once before as well exact same thing crystal clear for at least a month almost instant sediment in bottles. The only thing I could think of is a cork issue? Does anyone else know why this could be happening or any tips to avoid it in the future?

Hi

if it is a little fizzy on the tongue then it was not done degassing. Wine with gas still in it helps holds sediment in suspension. Sooo, when you bottle it the sediment starts dropping. The sediment won't hurt anybody, and if the bottles are handled and poured carefully no problem But I really understand how proud you were of your first big pretty batch intended to be presents and now you feel it is ruined.

The only true concern here is HOW fizzy? If just a tickle, ok, but if any more than that you risk popped corks and wine spewing out to make a mess. Not a good gift.

Honestly this is the problem we all face. It takes patience to let the wine degas thoroughly. Yes, you can bottle Dragon Blood in a short time, but only if you work work work work the wine to degas. It always takes more work than you would think.

Pam in cinti

Pam
You took the words out of my mouth - I started typing and relized you just mentioned everything I was going to mention -

Did you follow the receipe by the book ? including sorbate ?

Yup followed it by the book. I really need a wine whip. The fizz is just a tickle you only notice when you drink it fast. I am extremely disappointing but we do have a slew of other (not as tasty) wines we can give away. My husband is pleased as it still tastes awesome and that tiny tickle hidden bubbles does nothing to take away from that his words were "fine we can't give this away really really fine" lol.

I'm a little concerned that it WAS clear, and now is not. That makes me think you might have a refermentation happening.

I'm a little concerned that it WAS clear, and now is not. That makes me think you might have a refermentation happening.

The OP did not say it was cloudy, Just Dropping sediment. Would a reenergized fermentation not cloud the wine?

I posted this under your same question in the DB thread.

Did you use Sparklloid?
If so, I noticed I have bottled different wines that looked crystal clear. A month later I could see this whispy stuff floating around.

SuperKleer tends to compact the lees much better, eliiminating a lot of this.

Also, is it "fizzy" or are you sure you aren't tasting the acid from the lemon juice? It takes a good 1-2 months to blend all the fruit, lemon, etc. to become a smooth drinker.

I agree with Jim. If it was clear and now throwing sediments AND is fizzy - it is most likely fermenting.

Bad or no sorbates?

I have had that same situation where a carboy is crystal clear, and if I move it or bottle, it becomes cloudy. In my case it was gas. I have one batch (earlier in my winemaking career) that never lost its zip. I can see a bit of suspended sediment, looks like tornados in the wine.

So for that batch we didn't give any away. We decant, let it sit, then hit it with an aerator a few times. Then it is fine to drink.

What I learned the hard way is to degass really aggressively in the carboy so I don't have that issue.

Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Thanks everyone for the responses. I did use sparkloid and the wine is still clear just a little sediment in the bottom

After I use sparkolloid I usually follow it up with bentonite to get that last little bit from disturbing the sparkolloid sediment on transfer. Gets almost all the tiny particles that are suspended out.

Your wine isn't ruined. You can always pour it into a carboy and re-bottle. It's not fun but imho it is your best bet. That will also help to degas it more

Thanks everyone for the responses. I did use sparkloid and the wine is still clear just a little sediment in the bottom

Use SuperKleer next time and you won't have that issue.

I still use Sparklloid at times, but let it sit an additional week or two longer than normal to try and minimize the "whispies".

Back