Secondary Fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Robusto

Reaction score
We racked our wine from the Primary Fermentation container on Saturday, to the Secondary (Carboy). All went well.

My question is how often should you see bubbles in the airlock? I filled the airlock about half way with Vodka. I have seen a few bubbles, but don't really know how often it should happen.

By the way, we tasted the wine from the sample taken for readings and it tasted pretty good. I think that there is some pretty good potential here....

I'm pretty new at this but after starting two wines I noticed that the first day or so, my airlocks bubbled about every 3 to 7 seconds. Over the next few days, this grew to about every 10-30s, 30s to 1:30s, to a few times a day, etc...

Two fruit wines I'm making have followed this pattern (so it's not too much experience, but just something you can compare to).

Good luck!
-Nico

The amount of action in the airlock really depends on howfar along and active the fermentation is at this point. Don't be concerned if you don't see much actionas it isn't a good indicator ofthe fermentation at this point. Continue to follow the directions and use your hydrometer totest. Edited by: masta

My big concern is that during the Primary Fermentation, it went crazy for about 4 days and then quieted. Still bubbled, but not very vigorously.

Now it is slow. Will it pick up again? The SG was 1.00 when we racked.

You should rack to glass at about SG of 1.030 or 1.020. when you get to<1.00you are done with fermentation. (dry) my kits have ended up from .996 to .992 on the SG. you rack to a carboy because the surface area is smaller so when fermentation is done and co2 is not being given off(displacing the oxygen) there is less wine in contact with o2,giving itless chance of spoiling.

Im pretty new to this game as well but this is my $.02 worth.

Edited by: chevyguy65

Mr. R - Don't worry about the slow bubbling. If you racked at sg or 1.00 your fermentation is almost complete. It will be very slow for the rest of it, because there is so little food left to feed the yeast.

Patience is a virtue.

Latest posts

Back