Mosti Mondiale Secondary Fermentaion Ended Early

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhelan939

Reaction score
I am currently on day 12 of my Lambrusco kit. The instructions say to check the S.G. on day twelve, just to check progression;and to make sure Secondary Fermentation is finished on day twenty. The fermentation is said to be finished when S.G. reaches .995. I am currently at an S.G. of .992. Should I continue to wait for day twenty or should I do a second racking now to get rid of the lees? I kept the room at an almost constant 74 degrees. This is at the higher end of the suggestedspectrum. I assume that this may have something to do with the speedy fermentation. It's amazing that I could have started with a Gravity reading of 1.130 just 12 days ago!

Are you sure your starting gravity was 1.130??? If that's the case, I calculate that you have 18.5% ABV! Wow. Does it taste strong? What brand was the kit?

My rule of thumb is to never do anything faster than the minimum number of days. The wine will still need time to age, so going faster than the schedule does not bring any benefits.

Hey, thanks for all of the replies. My S. G. was definitly 1.130. Of course it was the first time I had ever used a hydrometer. I haven't tasted it yet. Something about tasting it before the lees are gone just seems wrong. The kit was the Mosti Lambrusco. I was worried that being as fermentation was finished, the wine would oxidize if left too long. If I am going to wait til day 20, should I be stirring up the lees everyday? Should I top off?

If you are in your carboy with very little head space between your wine and your bung you are fine this is how it is buk aged and we do this for up to 2 years. I would not be stirring it just leave it alone as every time you open it youll be introducing air. On day 20 you will proceed to the next step which may require you to either stir everything up or tom leave all sediment behind depending on which clarifying (fining) agent came with your kit.

I have made this kit and my starting SG was 1.080 @ 75F and 1.130 is higher that any kit I have ever made. Did you make this kit up to a full 6 gals/23 liters?

It was definitly up to the 23 liter line; however, I cannot honestly remember my stiring habbit. I documented all of my readings. Within 30 hours (2 readings later)of that reading I was down to 1.090, so maybe that is a possibility. The color, and smell,is really intense. Its actually quite an amazing process!!!

That wold be the more more likely reading as it would not have fermented much or even started by then.

Latest posts

Back