Secondary & de-gas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbama

Junior
Reaction score
Wine is currently in thesecondary fermenter and I'm just about ready todegas and addpotassium sorbate and potassium metabisulfate. 2 questions.....my guess is it doesn't matter if i add either of these beforeor after degasing does it? Second and more importantly, I still have a bit of sediment on the bottom of the carboy. Should I rack and then degas? If I degas in the secondary, much of that sediment will be stirred up.

Need some more information from you.
Is this wine from fresh/frozen grapes or from a kit?
Which kit, which grape variety?
Some kits, like W.E. kits, want you to take some sediment with you through degassing and into clarification. Some have you rack off all sediment between secondary and degassing.
If this is from a kit, what does the kit instructions say?

Two things for sure, you want the wine temperature up to about 75F for degassing to complete fully. If the wine is not properly degassed, it has a lot more difficulty clearing, if it will clear at all.

I would rack it again, add K-Meta, Sorbate and then degass

BOB

when its a kit you have to degas and THEN add the kmeta because your vaccuuming or degassing by drill for example can also pull it out if inserted prior to the degassing

Al Fulchino said:
when its a kit you have to degas and THEN add the kmeta because your vaccuuming or degassing by drill for example can also pull it out if inserted prior to the degassing

Since it is JUST JUICE and no pressing is involved, sounds to me like person should follow same procedures as a kit, as Al just wrote.

Latest posts

Back