Scupernonng and Muscadines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jobe05

Reaction score
Starting steaming 41 pounds of scupernonngs this morning in my new steamer. Having not steamed before, I didn't know what to expect for juice. I got 4 gallons from them, so I took 3 gallons and made a 6 gallon batch. Since I don't have enough for even 3 gallons more scupernonng, I decided to steam 10 pounds of muscadine and adding it to the scuppernonng, which should give me a 4 gallon batch of?????????? Perhaps a blush Muscernonng. Sure worth a try.

I think it would make a very good wine jobe. Now, take them hulls if you still have them and run them back through the steamer one more time, it may get you more juice...

Just finished Waldo, and the mixed Scup/musc is awesome! I added the skins to the must (in strainer bag) I ended up with 3 gallons of scuppernonng and almost 3 gallons of the mixed Scuppernonng and Muscadine. So I have sitting right now, 6 gallons of scuppernonng must and 5 1/2 gallons of the mix scup/musc, which is a very pretty red blush and a very unique flavore, I have a hunch this is going to be good.

What surprised me was it took almost 20 pounds of sugar to get both batches to 1.085. That seemed like a lot to me. I was thinking 15 to 16 pounds, but it was closer to 19 1/2 pounds. I call that sour grapes.Edited by: jobe05

Are you sure it's not Scuppadine wine?
smiley36.gif
Did you check the SG or brix of the must before adding sugar? Most grape wines take about 70-90 pounds of grapes for a 6 gallon batch. What is the acidity of the batch? If it is high acid it is probably better to add the extra water and sugar like you did. If the acidity is low, then you can adjust it easily. It will stretch those gapes further and you get twice the goodness. Keep us filled in on both these babies.
smiley4.gif

So when you make the Muscadine wine, do you have to steam them to extract the juice? Can you crush them like traditional grapes and ferment with the skins to extract the color? I am still up in the air if I want to buy some vines or not. Muscadine are the only type of grape I can grow here.

I have yet to try a Muscadine wine that has wowed me. Everyone here makes theirs so sweet and I do not like sweet wines that much. The last I tried was sweeter than my Kumquat Mead. I want to make a dry or mildly sweet Red wine with a deep red color. The few red muscadine wines I have seen were a blush color.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Appleman: Muscadines and scupernonngs are very acidic, so cutting them is neccesary to help balance. I'll be trying to take a reading tomorrow, but since I totally suck at acid readings, please don't wait for an accurate reading, but you will get an accurate taste test. I took a reading of the must before adding sugar, but couldn't tell ya what it was now, didn't write it down either, just the starting SG after adding sugar. And I think you are correct, they do call it scuperdine.

Smurf:
The steamer did a good job at extracting the muscadine color and flavor, I was pleasantly surprised with that. The last batch of scuppernonng that I did a couple of months ago, I squeezed with my press and it was a hard job. The muscadine and scup have a very hard thick skin, and a jelly like center. When you squeeze them, some squeeze down and the rest just bury into what you squeezed. I would have to back the screw out of the press, smash them up in my hands, then squeez it again. 5 pounds of scupernonng would take almost an hour to squeeze, so the steamer really saved some time and back effort.Edited by: jobe05

I had pretty much the same experience as Appleman without having a mechanical press. I was only dealing with 10lb of muscadines so it didn't end up taking too long but I'd hate to do 40 that way.

In the end I put everything in and presed by hand on a daily basis during its time in the primary. I got all the color out and the flavor was pretty strong.

I had to adjust SG quite significantly, - I think it was about 1.045 when I started. I also had to top up to 1 gallon with Welches.

Looking at the posts above, maybe a steamer would have been a better idea.
Edited by: peterCooper

I am definately a convert for the steamer vs conventional methods of pressing.
"Yea though my feet are clean and pure I shall stomp the Muscadine no more"
That is from "Ye OldKing James" version !!!
smiley36.gif

When you steam fruit or grapes for a batch of wine, do you follow the recipe with the amount of fruit called for??? Like the recipe calls for 15LBS. per 5 gal. is that what you steam???

Have been eyeing a steamer for a while now, you guys are getting to be a good salesperson for getting one..
smiley36.gif

Bert:

I can only speak from my comparison of squeezing scupernongs and steaming them. Squeezing took 3 people and many hours of backbreaking work with the small press that I have. Steaming, 21 pounds more than I pressed took one person, several hours of enjoyable work, not to mention the aroma that filled the house as an added benefit. So far, thats all I can compare, the finished wine will be a few month away before I can compare that, but I beleive that Waldo or Northern winos could.

Bert said:
When you steam fruit or grapes for a batch of wine, do you follow the recipe with the amount of fruit called for??? Like the recipe calls for 15LBS. per 5 gal. is that what you steam???

Have been eyeing a steamer for a while now, you guys are getting to be a good salesperson for getting one..
smiley36.gif

You are correct ...For my Muscadine I use 6lbs. per gallon of wine and that is the amount I will steam. A couple of tricks for getting the most from your fruits when steaming is to add sugar to your fruit when placed in the steamer. I use about 2 cups per load and when the extraction begins, pour some of the extracted juice back onto the remaining fruit.Edited by: Waldo

Do you still get the same body in the finished wines that the solids from pressing fruit adds to the juice? What type of steamers are you all using?

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Smurf: So far, the juice appears the same. Waldo can speak for the body if he has any that is drinkable yet, but based on what I have seen so far, it has made no difference.

I would recommend only Stainless Steel, 18/10. They sell them on ebay, but I think you'll be taking your chances on quality since some don't say what the ss is. Once in a while you'll also find a enameled set, but all that I have seen have been used in processing meats and veggies for years. I don't know if I would do a used one. The price difference from the ones I see on ebay, and the one my wife bought for me was minamal for the peice of mind in knowing that she bought the right one that will be used and will last a long time.

Sounds interesting. So would you recommend steaming any fruit as opposed to placing the fruit in a mesh bag and fermenting on fruit? I will have to look around for one of these. I don't do eBay so I will look local. What is a decent price for one? I did a Goggle search and seen them from $99.00 and up. Every one of them looked like the same unit.

Smurfe

I have a Back to Basics Stainless Steel one...I have been using it for many years...like maybe 17+ years...I see on my instruction book it says 1985.

I have plastic type handles on my pots...lost the two on the fruit basket in the first few years....other than that it has held up well. The water tray is corroded with lime/calcium, but other than that it doesn't look too bad for all the work I have gotten out of it. I replace the hose every few years.

The first years I used it for breakfast juices, like apple juice, blend of apple/raspberry, apple/raspberry/rhubarb...I also juiced blueberries and blackberries that I made jelly and pancake syrup out of. Then I started helping an elderly neighbor lady pick her grapes, she would give me lots of them and I made breakfast juice with those too, as well as jellies and syrups.

Then we became interested in making wine...there is no end to what I won't try to juice in that steamer.

I don't think anyone would regret buying one of these, they are pretty pricey, but what isn't. I think I paid $75 way back then, that was real money. think the prices are pretty stable and the quality it probably better.

I would buy another one tomorrow if mine springs a leak or something happens like that. Most people who have seen mine and make juice have bought one as soon as they could.

As for the wine...I have only made wine out of my own juices from the steamer, so can't compare it...I think the wines clear faster than most of what I have read on Forums...I haven't seen gas in my wines...but that might not be because of the juices.

I use a few more pounds of fruit for each batch, guess I thought I was loosing the goodies that would come out of the straining bag.I also always add a couple bottles of WinExpert Grape Concentrates to my wines...just because the first recipe books I used put that in their fruit wines...we like the wines, so continue to do it that way.

I can't say enough good about these steam juice extractors....Edited by: Northern Winos

Smurfe,

I learned from this site (I believe it was Waldo's idea) to 0put muscadine in a gallon freezer bag & crush them with a rolling pin. Works well & no mess.

As for being too sweet, just add more suger & let it ferment to dry. 6 cups of muscadine, 6 cups of sugar (maybe 6.5 or 7 for you) for a gallon mix. I've also used 6 lbs & 6 lbs.

bj4271 said:
Smurfe,

I learned from this site (I believe it was Waldo's idea) to 0put muscadine in a gallon freezer bag & crush them with a rolling pin. Works well & no mess.

As for being too sweet, just add more suger & let it ferment to dry. 6 cups of muscadine, 6 cups of sugar (maybe 6.5 or 7 for you) for a gallon mix. I've also used 6 lbs & 6 lbs.

I remember Waldo crushing his muscadines like that. Hewould freeze them and then crush them in a zip lock with a rolling pin.I believe he steams them now instead. I can see getting some nice clear juice that way but am wondering if you get as much body to you wine with the steamed juice as you would from the crushed juice which will have plenty of solids in it. If there is no difference I am definitely going to get a steamer.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

That's the one I got for Christmas. Haven't got any fruit to use on it though.
smiley19.gif

Mine looks like this...

a12.gif

This is their Aluminum one for sale on eBay....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Back-to-Basics-...hZ007QQcategoryZ20677QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Mine looks exactly like the above photo, but is Stainless Steel...but looks just like this style. I lost the plastic handles off the top/fruit basket right away...should have called them, but it works okay. I get extra hose from medical supply companies...need more now.

The one I have is a 1985 model judging by their Instruction Manual that I still have....so I have had it for a very long time and it still looks pretty good considering it is on the stove for many days each year.

Tomatoes do not work well in it. I have never used it to blanch vegetables or steam seafood, have only made juice in it.I make lots of juices every year. Our breakfast juices are almost always juices I have made.

I'm pretty sure I paid around $75 in the mid 80's, I was outraged as the person who showed me hers had just had hers a year and she had paid about $20 less. At that time you had to order it right from Back to Basic in Sandy Utah....the phone number is [801] 572-1982. I think the one Waldo got on eBay is a good deal.

So judging by all the years that have past, the prices seem to be pretty stable...but there are other brands on the market now.Edited by: Northern Winos

Latest posts

Back