Scion Wood Exchange - lets get some started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WVMountaineerJack

Reaction score
Scion exchanges anyone for fruit trees? Its getting about that time to cut scion wood for grafting this spring. Grafting is so easy that anyone who can butter toast should get at least 74% sucess rate. I think it especially fun to graft from wild trees, completely unique one of a kind tree found growing in your fencrow, out in the middle of a field or about to be bulldozed for a housing delvelopment and you go in and save it by taking a few scions to graft onto a tree in your yard.

Dandynicki: We have a potential untested cider apple called Dandynicki, pronounced Dand-da-nicki, that lives deep in a frost pocket, is very vigorous and makes horrible tasting apples that we think are going to be good for cider. Since it lives in a frost pocket we only got 2 apples to try and they were horrible to eat, not from the acid levels but from the tannins I hope.

Beauty of Bardane: We also have a dessert type apple with a good scent of bananna in it called Beauty of Bardane that ripends later October, yellow apple seems to stand up to diseases well and is just all round good tasting,

If people want to swap scionwood post it here, its a good idea to share your scions from your unique tree as a backup, if something happens to your favorite tree then you can get some scionwood back from people who have grafted it and restart again. How often have you heard someone say wish I would have gotten a piece of wood off that tree before it died?

WVMJ

I may try this with my Pear tree. We are in a deep freeze here right now. When do you think a good time to make the cut before spring planting?

Neat idea! I'd love to join the party, but I don't have any apples available that very unique. The hardiness differences may be a problem.
I can do Cortland, Greening, and possibly Fireside and Gala.

I got a box of scions ready to go with our wildlings, would be great to see if they got what it takes in your zone as we are in 6. Is there any American cider apples you are looking for this year, we are going to prune the youngest trees this coming week. WVMJ

That idea went over real good!!

That idea went over real good!!
I apparently didn't know what this was all about. I still kind of don't.
Though, something good may of come from this after all... for me at least.

I went and took that piece from my Pear Tree and planted it in a planter along with several clippings I took from a neighbor's unknown white grape that grows wild in his back yard.

Well today I noticed the Pear and a few of the Grape clippings are budding!
I feel I may have less then a month to figure out what I'm doing with them.

A little internet research and maybe a possible nudge from anyone here with experience would be great.
--Sorry for the slight Hi-jacking of the thread--

Your grapes might take root and make it. Your pear is a gonner, even though it looks like its going to make it cuttings dont root, the leaves are supported by the food stored in the wood so when that runs out its going to die. This is one reason people graft apple and pear trees, they dont root on their own very well if at all. WVMJ

Thanks WVMJ, Shame about the Pear. Ole girl is getting up in years. I'll read up on proper pruning.

As for the Grape, I'm not expecting much. I'm a bit nervous if they will root now either, but the mama vine will be there next year if I need to try again.

I'll use the search here and bounce around internet for info.
If I have any success, I'll start my own thread and get off yours.

Thanks again WVMJ.

Latest posts

Back