Say Hello To My Little friend!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had what we thought were baby hummers flying around out perennial garden. upon further inspection it turned out to be "Hummingbird Moths"! Very odd creatures as they REALLY look and act like small Hummingbirds. Only difference is the antenna's coming out of their heads ;) I tried to get pics but they were gone every time we got the camera out.

We have those as well out in the perennial garden. Have not seen them since early Spring so perhaps they have moved on for the Summer.

hummingbird_moth.jpg

Here in Colorado Springs, the hummers usually nest up in the high country, then come down about mid July. This year as usual they are back down in our area and fighting over the feeders.

I have three orioles who come every year and really enjoy the sugar water. I have a feeder for them and it has little larger holes so they can reach the liquid. Sometimes they still prefer the hummingbird feeders to their own. Their beaks are very long and pointed, so they can drink from some hummingbird feeders.

Don't they know they are only supposed to drink from the ORANGE feeders!

Do you feed them Orange halves?

Do you feed them Orange halves?

Two days ago I put orange halves near their feeder. When they try it, they sort of shake their heads like it is too sour, then hop away. (I admit I didn't taste the oranges, so they might be very tangy. I thought of putting some sugar on the orange halves.

They come back to drink about once every twenty minutes. Beautiful birds, too.

Definitely cool birds but I hear they can wreak absolute havoc on a vineyard so I don't think I will be putting out anything for them. I have seen a couple around the house, mostly in the late Spring.

Definitely cool birds but I hear they can wreak absolute havoc on a vineyard so I don't think I will be putting out anything for them. I have seen a couple around the house, mostly in the late Spring.

I'll bet you are right about that, since they do like sweets. Here, they migrate South about the 3rd week of August, kind of early.

a few years back I had a pair of Orioles, put out orange halves every day.. then figured out the squirrals were eating them. Right now going through about a gallon of necter a week for the hummers.

Its getting a little snug these days!

No longer fitting in the nest very well. I bet they will be gone by next weekend!

DSC03310_b.jpg

I was thinking the whole wicker thing was the nest but it looks like the wicker/vine is part of the light and the hairy looking thing is the nest. Very cool pics.

Latest posts

Back