Sanitizing nylon straining bags

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
I've got my nylon straining bags sitting in a sealed 1gal ziplock with about 3/4 cup k-meta solution. One bag is brand new, one has been used once and then washed well. (I don't have a way to test my k-meta, but I mixed it in the last 3 weeks and it almost took my head off when I opened the bucket... So I think it's pretty strong.)

I'm pretty new to this whole thing and really paranoid about sanitization practices, so I wanted to see if any of the more experienced winemakers thought this was a sufficient plan. Thoughts?

I don't have any suggestions for you, as I believe i may be newer to this than you are, but I am curious how you washed the bags. I have two that I am having a hard time getting clean, one had raisins, the other had peppers. Sorry, didn't mean to stray away from your question.

Instead of buying the expensive staining backs at you HBS I buy paint straining bags at Home Depot. I just bought 1 gallon and 5 gallon bags. They are about 2/3.00. When I am done with them I throw them out. I sanitize with a meta solution. If your solution smells that strong it is still good, relax!

Snowgirl... The one I've used before had a berry blend in it (for Dragon Blood skeeter pee). I rinsed REALLY well inside & inside-out, then I ran it through the washing machine with no detergent. Then I soaked it in k-meta & air dried it before putting it away. It's still a very light purple, but I didn't want to use any bleach or detergent. I figured a little staining was better than risking any chemicals in my next batch.

Runningwolf... That's a great idea! I'll have to check them out. Thanks :)

Yep, paint straining bags work great. My local paint store carries 5 galon and 1 gallon sizes.

Soaking either type of bag in a normal Kmeta solution for even a few minutes works great. Kmeta solution should be 3 tablespoons Kmeta powder per gallon of water. Keep that gallon of solution sealed up and it will keep for months. As long as a careful whiff of it knocks you back, it is still good.

I don't go to too much trouble washing the bags, if I decide to re-use them. I rinse them well, slosh in some B-Brite or Oxyclean and rinse again. Always sanitize again just before you use them.

Even cheaper than the paint strainers and a little more fine mesh - cost about $0.33 per pair - knee high hose from wall mart.

I like the white but it doesn't really matter.

They stretch like crazy and one will hold several pounds of fruit. They're easy to fill, etc.....

and disposable.

Even cheaper than the paint strainers and a little more fine mesh - cost about $0.33 per pair - knee high hose from wall mart.

I like the white but it doesn't really matter.

They stretch like crazy and one will hold several pounds of fruit. They're easy to fill, etc.....

and disposable.

For the guy wine makers, nylon paint bags are a whole lot more macho than a woman's stocking!!!

Just kidding! :sm
Yes, they work great, but maybe not quite as strong is all, but that's likely not a problem.

I don't have any suggestions for you, as I believe i may be newer to this than you are, but I am curious how you washed the bags. I have two that I am having a hard time getting clean, one had raisins, the other had peppers. Sorry, didn't mean to stray away from your question.

I don't think those you have are "washable", definitely the one used in jalapeño has to be thrown away, I have been washing and reusing the bags but only the ones that you can possible wash without having a chance of introducing bacteria in your next batch...

For the guy wine makers, nylon paint bags are a whole lot more macho than a woman's stocking!!!

Just kidding! :sm
Yes, they work great, but maybe not quite as strong is all, but that's likely not a problem.

Hey Robie, woman stockings may not be "macho", but you can get them at Walmart for .25 cents, if someone sees that in the wine I tell people it is a very specialized bag for wine fermentation, so they actually don't make the connection;)

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Leggs-Women-s-Everyday-Box-Control-Top-Hosiery-3-Pack/14912789

Bailey... Do you just use 1 knee high or do you put one inside another to make a double thickness of nylon? That's definitely cost effective & it would make it nice to just toss the whole thing. Anything to make clean up easier is a plus!

Thanks all! I'm just gonna toss mine & go for paint bags or the knee highs. Great ideas, lots of help... That's why I love this site! :D

Bailey... Do you just use 1 knee high or do you put one inside another to make a double thickness of nylon? That's definitely cost effective & it would make it nice to just toss the whole thing. Anything to make clean up easier is a plus!

I have used the nylons as well and they work great. You can use any size and just tie a knot and cut off what you don't need. Knot that piece again and you are ready for the next fill.

Fishnet all the way baby!

Think I have tried all these ways. Ran out of the panty hose, so went back to the paint strainers or nylon from the fermenters. When I get done with these, take em out to the hose when the weather is decent, Clean em up the best I can and hang em on the clothes line to air dry and be sun sanatized. Fold em up, put em away and next use, rinse them off good. I mite be wrong, but the way I look at it, I rinse the fruits off real well, the bag they are going in is going to be as clean as they are. Into the primary and give em a shot of k-meta. Havn't had a batch spoil yet. The next one mite, but til it does, this seems to work. Arne.

I use nylon drawstring boiling bags, they do get stained, but I've found that when I clean them with b-brite and then sanitize them with meta, they come totally clean.
I like the drawstring bags, they are tried and true, and for the $4.50 or so that they cost, I don't have to worry about them failing.

Back