sanitizer spray bottle

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krhamm

Reaction score
I've read that some winemakers use a spray bottle to sanitize their items. Here are some questions that i have:

What size bottle do most people use?
How much K-meta or one step solution do you add?
What is the average shelf life of this solution in a spray bottle?

I just use a 12 or 16oz spray bottle I bought at the dollar store. I put Star San in mine with out having it in front of me I think 1 oz star san makes 5 Gal so I just put a tiny bit in my spray bottle maybe 1/16 of a oz then fill the bottle with water. I usually get about 1 month out of it before I run out. and have to refill.

I got mine from home store. hangs on the side of the utility tub.

I add maybe a teaspoon of sulfite to it and fill with cool water. Very handy.

I got my 2-year-old-and -still-kicking spray bottles at a dollar store.

I mix my solution 1/2g at a time and fill the spray bottle from that. I use 1-1/2 TBSP k-meta + 1 TSP citric acid to get the pH down.

16 oz bottle here. I always make a 1 gallon jug using 3 tbls per gallon and keep the gallon jug in my corkidor to keep my corks and hoses sanitized. The solution in the bottles will last typically around 6 months.

+1 with what Wade does. Keep in mind k-mets is very corrosive so use caution on what you use it on. Ok to use it before working with wine. After cleaning your tools do not resanitize any metal with it before putting away.

Yes, this stuff will corrode meatl fast so dont store any metal in with this, even the fumes will wreak havoc on it.

+ (well probably most of us!) :D

16 oz bottle here. I always make a 1 gallon jug using 3 tbls per gallon and keep the gallon jug in my corkidor to keep my corks and hoses sanitized. The solution in the bottles will last typically around 6 months.

Yep, dollar store, any sise they have. I fill it from my gal. jug of sanitising liquid. I put enough K Meta in so that I can smell it. Then I don't smell it.
:b

Also

Be sure you write on the bottle what it is. Dosen't help to add do not drink, smell, taste etc.

I bought a plain plastic spray bottle the first time I processed grapes, for use on the crusher and press. I ended up keeping it around because it is just so handy. I just fill it from my meta jug.

Back