Sanitizer for BrewHouse Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff H

Reaction score
I was just talking to George and I asked him about sanitizing for Beer making. He mentioned more aggressive sanitizing is needed especially for after theboil (hope I got this right George). Since I'll be making a BrewHouse "No-Boil" kit does the sanitizing need to be as aggressive. Can I get away with using K-Meta or do I need to use bleach, Iodophor or similar? Thanks...Jeff

Since there is a much lower alcohol content in beer it is much more susceptible to bacteria. StarSan is supposedly 1 of the best products along with Iodophor. Im not crazy about using bleach for a sanitizing agent as you will have to rinse very well afterwards and that can just re introduce bacteria. Some people use One-Step which is really a cleanser BUT and I say but, supposedly it is a sanitizer also but the manufacturer just hasnt spent many $1000's of dollars to actually get the gov. to sign on to that. You should be more aggressive with sanitizing for beer.

As Wade said you will want to use a more aggressive sanitizer than just K-meta when making any type of beer including the BrewHouse Kits. RJ Spagnols actually tells you this in their instructions included in the kit.

Take a look through the beer tutorial on the resource page of the website and this should also help explain the process more: http://www.finevinewines.com/Brew-House-Tutorial.htmEdited by: masta

Iodophor and StarSan are both no-rinse sanitizers which in my opinion sells itself. Iodophor is easier on metal but stains clothes immediately and plastics such as buckets and hoses if left in too long. Also Iodophor does not last that long once mixed. Im not sure how long StarSan lasts once mixed but it is much longer.

Star San lasts a varied amount of time. Depends on it's use, exposure to air, light, etc. as well as the type of water mixed with. It's effectiveness is based on it's pH. It has to be like 3 or below as it is an acid. I have a batch that is like 3-4 months old that is still fine. I dump it when it goes cloudy. Here is a tech sheet on Star San. I use Idophor as well but not that ofter as Wade says, it stains and doesn't last after it is mixed. I love Star San.

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/tech/starsan.pdf

Thanks Masta. I read thru the instructions but didn't see a specific sanitizer listed, therefore the question. I appreciate the assistance, George said you would lead me in the right direction. Regards, Jeff

P.S. the one picture shows Easy-Clean.

Thanks Smurfe and Wade,

I guess I'll use Star San. I didn't see it on theToy Storewebsite. Do you know if George sells it?

Latest posts

Back