Sand plum??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zexsir

Junior
Reaction score
I've recently heard of sand plums. Do they make a good wine? I have a buddy that takes his quad to the dunes and let me know they are everywhere down there.

Recipies ?

If they are the same as the wild plums here, they make a pretty decent wine. I have only made it once and it is not finished yet. Froze them last summer and started the ferment in March. Kinda made this up as I went along but this is about what I did.
32 lb. wild plums. most stoned. used the cherry pitter to stone them. had to adjust it some, but worked pretty good.
Enough water to come out with about 6 gal.
K-meta or campden tabs 12 hours or so later Pectic enzime.
Added bentonite
I put some tannin in, in the amount it was recomended on the bottle.
yeast energizer
yeast nutrient
Sugar to 1.090
Used champaine yeast, basement was cold so it was a slow ferment.
When below 1.000 racked to carboys.
After the gross lees fell out, racked again, added k-meta and it is still sitting.
at this time, it is not clearing very well. Will let it sit for another month or so, maybe two or three and hit it with sparkaloid.
Sometime this fall or winter, maybe next spring will bottle it. It will have to be sweetened a bit also, at least for me.
Good luck with it, Arne.

Plum wine takes a long time to clear but when it does it is quite nice.
cee852b9-8d0f-4f6a-beea-5c93f7251893.jpg

Last edited:
Yes wild plumbs make awesome wine. Would suggest pitting and pressing use the skins just like grapes. Made 12 gallons last year at 30# per 6gal was rather light but still good. Think will do the full 60# for 6 gal this year if I get a good crop.the 30# yielded just over 1 gallon of juice btw.

Back