Sammyk: Fresh Peach wine Red Haven Peaches

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sammyk

Reaction score
Peach Wine 6.5 gallons of must (You should end up with about 5 gallons of wine)

50lbs. Red Haven Peaches skinned, pitted and sliced. They were extra large peaches so your mileage may vary if you do not use the same size. Freeze.

NOTE: I dipped the peaches in boiling water and submerged them in cold water to skin and de-stone them and then into fresh water with a little lemon juice so that they did not oxide

When the paint straining bags are removed - which are squeezed daily, siphon to one primary. I don't remember exactly when I removed the fruit bags but it was after a few days.

6 tsp pectic enzyme

4 tsp acid blend or to bring TA in line

sugar to 1.085

NO WATER!

Lavlin 71B

Ferment dry and add k-meta and sorbate.

***THIS WINE STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN!***

make a f-pac with 10# of peaches

Add simple syrup to taste if needed but I did not need it because the Red Haven Peaches are naturally sweet. I kept out 10 pounds of skinned, stoned sliced Red Haven and kept them in the freezer until I was ready to back back flavor as an fpack.

Bottle in 6 months (we were drinking this at bottling time and it larger quantities after bottling) Not quite year old now and only a few bottles are left.

I did not use bentonite in the primary and had a heck of time clearing the wine. After advice on the forum I did use it at about 5 months.

This wine is dark and looks more like cider.

I should have mentioned, we spread them out singly not touching on an 8' table and covered with towels to keep the fruit flies off of them. Every 2 days we took the ripest ones and processed them.

Thanks for sharing your recipe,when peaches come in here I will be doing a batch...

Peach seems to have a rather bad oder. Had a friend that made it and the smell never did go away for him. He finally dumped that batch. Others on here have said the smell eventually goes away. Good luck with it. Arne.

The smell did go away but don't recall at which point that it happened. We were ready to dump it a few times because of the smell but am glad we did not. It was not a sulfur smell but more of putrid smell that made one gag.

Mine stunk pretty bad too for the first few months. I'm happy to report that the stink went away though.

I am making a peach, my sister likes to taste everything, so I let her taste it after ferment was complete, she took one smell, and said un uh...im not trying that. lol
now after a few weeks, it smells pretty good..not real peachy, but good.

I did not write it down but enough sugar to get the OG to 1.085
Also depending on the sweetness of the peaches the sugar needed will vary.

Peach wine

OUR PEACHES will be arriving shortly, I thinking of making a small batch, but if I may Sammy, boost the abv. up to 1.10 next time better balance in the finial outcome, also if yours has browned not to worry so did a batch I did but the taste is still there, unless your going to compete ,color is not a problem all that matters is taste and mouth feel, this is a wine that requires it and needs it to come full circle:b good:db luck.

Joe it looks more like cider than peach wine. Tastes like eating a peach that drips down your arm. Red Haven are the sweetest peach around. They should be coming in here soon. We don't compete just our own use and both our families. Our grown daughter gets a good amount. Sent her home with 2 cases of wine over the 4th - she lives 2 hours from us.

Peach wine

UNDERSTAND what you mean, taste is the most important element of all....:i

I did not write it down but enough sugar to get the OG to 1.085
Also depending on the sweetness of the peaches the sugar needed will vary.

Im more of less meaning a ball park so i will know about how much sugar to buy. Is there a general rule of thumb on a ratio for poinds of fruit per poind of sugar?

I picked 38 poinds of Majestic peaches last week at our local orchard. Not sure what variety is in this week, but will pick more. At .75 cent a pound cant beat it

Last edited:
Back