SAINTS

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victank1

Reaction score
Hi folks, here's a little ditti about Saints and Wine making. There are around 9 different Saints of wine making, Vineyards and even Saints for Bar tending and Bars. Thats more Saints for wine than most other issues of the Catholic Church. SWEET

Do tell;

Can you give us the names?

Are they Saints for a certain wine/grape?

Here ya go!!!
1: Saint Trifon, Patron Saint of the Pruners
2: Saint Vincent, Patron Saint of Wine Making
3: Saint Amand of France, Patron Saint of Brewers, Bar Staffand Vinters
4: Saint Goar, Patron Saint of Vine growers and Hotel keepers
5: Saint Lawerence, Patron Saint of Vine growers and wine makers
6: Saint MArtin of Tours, Patron Saint of wine makers and beggers
7: Saint Morand, Patron Saint of the Grape and wine trade
8: Saint Urban of Langres, Patron Saint of Vinters and barrel makers
9: Saint Walter of Pontnoise, Patron Saint of Vinters and prisoners of war

PS: I'm Methodist but I know now why Catholics get to openley drink wine and the Methodist don't...We don't have a Patron Saint of wine making HHHAAAA HHHAAA

Well I'll be..

Might make for interesting wine labels. Hmm....

Victank1,

I find some of those combinations interesting. I'm can see that some go together like the vine growers and hotel keepers - the innkeep could be serving his own wine at the inn perhaps. The vintner and prisoner of war combo is confusing but I'm intrigued by Saint Martin of Tours - the patron saint of winemakers and beggars. A very interesting combination - it may explain the person I saw three days ago sitting on a street corner with the words, 'Will Make Wine for Food' scrawled on a flap of cardboard.
smiley1.gif

- Jim

tepe said:
Well I'll be..

Might make for interesting wine labels. Hmm....

Exactly; my take on reading the list. Elevate one of the Grand Kids to Saint Hood?

I am suprised I didn't have to learn these in Catechism.
smiley36.gif
There is also St. Arnold for brewing as well. One of my favorite breweries is St. Arnold in Houston. Named after the Saint. Really good beer. Wish they would distribute to Baton Rouge.

So as not to bring the possible wrathfromthegods/goddesses of other religions, you can includethese as well:

Geshtin (Geshtinanna, Gestinanna) - Sumerian goddess of the vine
Spenta Armaiti (Persian) -goddess of the vineyards
Ninkasi(Sumerian) - goddess of intoxicating drink. She was born in fresh water, but her liquid of choice was beer.
Renenutet (Egyptian) -goddess of the harvest and wine
Osiris (Egyptian) -god of wine
Hathor (Het-hor) Egyptian - goddess of wine and intoxication.
Dionysus (Greek) -God of wine and celebration
Silenus (Greek) is the God of beer and a drinking companion
Bacchus (Roman) -God of wine and celebration
Acan (Maya)- God of wine
Tezcatzoncatl (Aztec) - was one of the chief gods of the native inebriating liquor, thepulque (a type of beer made with cactus juice)
Aegir (Norse) - also known as the God of beer and brewing.
Mbaba Mwana Waresa (Zulu) -Goddess of beer
Yasigi (various African tribes) -Goddess of beer, dance and masks
Radegast (Czech mythology) -God of hospitality and mutuality and is credited for the creation of beer.
Raugupatis (Ancient Baltic and Slavic mythology) -God of fermentation. Raugutiene - Raugupatis partner and she is known as the Goddess of beer.

Out of all of these gods and goddeses , that Tezcatzoncat cat got me into more trouble. That is the reason I drink wine now instead of Tequila

I've got the Deluxe Collectors Edition of the Documentary Stargate-SG1. SO, I know the truth about Hathor and Osiris.

JimCook said:
Victank1,

I find some of those combinations interesting. I'm can see that some go together like the vine growers and hotel keepers - the innkeep could be serving his own wine at the inn perhaps. The vintner and prisoner of war combo is confusing but I'm intrigued by Saint Martin of Tours - the patron saint of winemakers and beggars. A very interesting combination - it may explain the person I saw three days ago sitting on a street corner with the words, 'Will Make Wine for Food' scrawled on a flap of cardboard.
smiley1.gif

- Jim

That wuz me Jim...I thought I recognized you when you drove by but wasnt sure. i was trying to make my way to Minnesota and got lost and run out of money and was getting awfully hongry

Everyone toss Waldo some money so he can get up here!
smiley2.gif
You know Waldo, you could start WALKING instead of expecting everyone to tote you around...
smiley36.gif

Wonder why Waldo would be headed up here before all the snow is gone?????
smiley3.gif
smiley3.gif

I'm glad PWP and Bert will be guarding the wine cellar and storage area while we are gone....
smiley4.gif
smiley4.gif

I worry tho about fall...when the ChokeCherries are ripe....who will be guarding the neighborhood ditches???

<TABLE =tableBorder style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 align=center>
<T>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider vAlign=top height=150>
<DIV =msg style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">
That wuz me Jim...I thought I recognized you when you drove by but wasnt sure. i was trying to make my way to Minnesota and got lost and run out of money and was getting awfully hongry </TD></TR>
<TR =msgableRow>
<TD =msgLineDevider style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px">
<DIV =msgSignature style=": left; OVERFLOW: auto">Location: Benton, Arkansas
Dont Worry About The World Ending Today, It's Already Tomorrow In Australia ! </TD></TR></T></TABLE>

Waldo,
Did he give you any $$ for WINE ?

So what is the big draw to Minnesota? Seems everybody is heading there!

I know NW makes it look like paradise, but dang it gets COLD there!

If you are heading up there for choke cherries, forget it. They aren't that great! If you going to visit NW and Jim,GO FOR IT!!!!

Thanks for posting this victank1,
I got a lot of feedback from my Lutheran family when I passed that info around andsaid I was converting because Catholics have so many wine saints
smiley8.gif
! Lots of mileage!

Latest posts

Back