WineXpert Rushable Cabernet

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Impiryo

Junior
Reaction score
I can't believe I'm asking this, but here goes. My supply of cabernets is about dry. I love the idea of wine making, and the idea of making high quality wines. I have a few mid-range kits going, but my heart lies with a dry cab sav. I'm planning on starting the Lodi Ranch Cabernet within the next couple days, but that seems like a wine worth leaving for a year.

Are there any of the less expensive cab kits that would be acceptable/decent in a significantly shorter period of time? I don't know much about young wines, but I expect I'd prefer a very green cab to most other varieties. Slight preference to WineXpert because that's what my LHBS stocks and they're super friendly, but I can't say I'm that loyal.

Supposedly, from this one official Winexpert description of the Lodi Ranch Cabernet, they recommend a minimum of four months of aging before digging into it. Ideally, though, you should expect to wait 1-2 years. I imagine it's worth it in the end.

Lodi Ranch 11 Cab Sauv Wine Making Kit - Estate Series. Appellation: Lodi, California, United States. Style: Winexpert's ultra premium Cabernet Sauvignon offering – the king of red grape varietals in all its splendid glory. A commanding red wine, this Cabernet has the trademark black currant and cherry flavours, but its true triumph is the subtle weave of complex flavour compounds that contribute to the overall experience. Oak and tannins, pepper and spice, a splendid combination of structure and rich fruit that will dazzle from first aroma to long elegant finish. The perfect opportunity to explore the quality potential from our ultra premium line! Try this spectacular Cabernet Sauvignon from California. Conditions at harvest: T.A. 5.0 grams per L. 23.0 Brix, pH 3.55. Similar Styles: Barolo, Luna Rossa, Australian Cabernet/Shiraz, Italian Barbaresco. Food pairings: Flavourful beef dishes including steak and roasts. Also spareribs and lamb, game dishes including pheasant and venison, firm cheeses such as cheddar and hard cheeses such as parmigiano and romano. Sweetness code: 0 (Dry). Alcohol by Volume: 13.0. Oak: Premium American toasted and French oak. Aging: Recommended minimum aging of four months to mellow the tannins and allow full complexity to develop. Ideal after two years.

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't expect any of the other higher end cabernet kits to differ with regards to aging. I've only done the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet so far myself, and it definitely still has some aging to do. It shows all the signs of being good in the end, though!

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't expect any of the other higher end cabernet kits to differ with regards to aging. I've only done the CC Showcase Red Mountain Cabernet so far myself, and it definitely still has some aging to do. It shows all the signs of being good in the end, though!

That's what I expected - I was more thinking about a lower end kit that gave decent results - something comparable/better than those $10 gems like the Mondavi Private Selection, but that I could make myself. I'm not touching the Lodi Ranch Cab till the summer at the earliest, and hoping to save most of them a fair bit longer.

Or a similar question, any other full-bodied, dry reds that mature much quicker?

Rushing a Cab is like ...a sin. I think you can go to h311 for that. If you like good cabs(like i do) you dont want to waste money on a cheap kit.

SouthernChemist said:

What red mountain are you talking about? Where did you buy your kit from?

Since your standard on this batch is acceptable / decent there are plenty you could try. I'd pick the Winexpert Selection cabernet merlot blend. Consider bulk aging for 45-60 days, then at least 30 in the bottle.

Also, look into the impact of temperature on aging. By keeping the temp. a little warmer you can speed the process a bit.

Tony P.

I purchased a Vintners Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon to drink while my Staggs Leap Merlot aged. At 5 months old, my Cab is still too young to enjoy. I'm thinking Cabs just need a year minimum. :(
You might want to try one of the cheap Reserve Du Chateau kit's on Amazon though. I have their Red Zin that is already drinkable at three months.

Got a ton of Family in West Richland, Benton City and Prosser. Back Yard Ya'Know. O hell, drinkable in three months, I drank wine I made when I was 10 at 3 weeks, does not make it good, just drinkable(got us drunk).
Spend $150 on 10 fairly good bottles of Cab and nurse them til you can wait no more. Sorry I see no reason to drink crappy wine.......ever

Last edited:
Really, any family that went to hanford? Yeah funny everyone knows eachother I guess.

Opened several of the Packlab cheapies 3 weeks ago. (Amore divino 10 L kits, with grape packs = < $60/kit) bottled in Mar/April.
The merlot with a merlot grape skin pack was as smooth as silk, very bright and fruit forward,
The Rosso Magnifico with a cab grape skin pack was excellent,".
The Montepulciano with a shiraz pack had the most body and still tasted a bit young but was very nice.
I didn't break out a cab.

So in light of this tread I tried the Cab last night. It was very good for that young of a wine. WAY more drinkable than the WE VR cab I bottled in Dec. I would compare it to a $10-15 commercial. You won't confuse it with a CC Red Mt.

I made the kit with the $40 kit + a $20 grape skin pack from Paklab (Amazon kits)

I think to be good, you need to get their grape pack. You may need to contact them directly to get grape packs.

http://mywinemonvin.com/

I add oak, peptic enzyme for the skins, tannin and sugar to get to 1.10 sg. I also keep it down to 5.5 gal.

Back