Rose Help Please

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RossW

Junior
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I plan on making a rose this year from Sangiovese grapes. I have previously made red from wild yeast on the skins, does anyone have any advice/experience on Rose from a wild yeast please?

There is no difference. Crush the grapes -- the yeast on the skins will mix into the juice. Let the juice rest on the skins as long as you desire, press, and let the yeast do its thing.

Have you considered making a 2nd run from the pomace? All that goodness is left in the pomace.

There is no difference. Crush the grapes -- the yeast on the skins will mix into the juice. Let the juice rest on the skins as long as you desire, press, and let the yeast do its thing.

Have you considered making a 2nd run from the pomace? All that goodness is left in the pomace.
Thank you for your reply. Do you think 3 hours would be enough for the juice to take on the yeast from the skins?
Yes i am also making red Sangiovese so will top up with more grapes after running of the rose juice and then hopefully have a full bodied Sangiovese.

For what it’s worth, the white grape juice I pressed directly after crushing this year spontaneously fermented with minimal contact with the skins. It actually took off quicker than the portion I left to ferment with skins (80% no skin contact 20% fermented on skins). I think your wild yeast will be ok with whatever length of skin contact you want for your rosé.

For what it’s worth, the white grape juice I pressed directly after crushing this year spontaneously fermented with minimal contact with the skins. It actually took off quicker than the portion I left to ferment with skins (80% no skin contact 20% fermented on skins). I think your wild yeast will be ok with whatever length of skin contact you want for your rosé.
Ok great. Will proceed with around 3 hours on the skins for minimal colour. Thanks for your input.

Latest posts

Back