Rockpile R15?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kendo

Reaction score
Anyone use this yeast on some old vine zin?...if so how was the results?:dg

Anyone use this yeast on some old vine zin?...if so how was the results?:dg
I used it on fresh OVZ grapes. The results were good. However, I had a completely different issue that has pretty much rendered that batch a throw away.

If the OVZ is from fresh grapes and there is a reason to think the result will have a vegetative, herbaceous taste (caused by methoxy pyrazine), I would consider utilizing a yeast strain, which helps restrain that bad taste. Rockpile doesn't do that for you.

hmm, im trying to pick a good yeast for this years zin...i have some nice packs of yeast d254, d80, ec1118, R15, ..Im looking for some fruit taste, plum, blueberry, jammy , coffee, pepper spice..which one should i go with . i will be using colavita zin grapes this year:fsh

From the More Wine guide to yeast pairing:

Zinfandel / Primitivo

BM45: Good all-around choice with big mouthfeel, jam,
plum, and berry along with earthy and spicy elements. Good
colour stability and helps to minimize vegetative characters.

RP15 (VQ15): Emphasizes the berry aspects along
with mineral and spice elements in Zin. Colour stability,
increased mouthfeel and agreeable tannins are also
contributed. Higher alcohol tolerance may also be
helpful in making certain styles.

ICV-D80: Big volume and fine grain tannin, mineral,
black pepper, and spice in a Zin. Great for bringing more
positive tannin intensity to a blend.

AMH: Enhances “clove” and “nutmeg” spicy elements,
along with minerality in a Zin. Complex with good berry
flavours and aromas.

BDX: Good all-around choice for berry, and jam notes.
If there is some spice in the fruit, BDX will help bring
it out. Moderate rate fermenter with good colour
retention. Useful for developing structure in the wine
by re-enforcing existing tannins- both good and bad, so
don’t use with un-ripe fruit.

ICV-D254: Big mouthfeel and rounding of tannins.
Intense fruit: more dried than fresh, emphasizing plum
and berry. Helps with colour stability and is useful for
adding body to blends.

SYR: Côtes du Rhône isolate usually for classic Syrah
aromas: however when used in a Zin emphasizes the
berry and plum aspects.

ICV-D21: Fresh berry fruit along with big mouthfeel
and positive tannic structure. Maintains good acidity
and inhibits herbaceous characters from developing.
Useful for hot climate fruit (high pH) and in blends for
maintaining a lively freshness.

hmm, im trying to pick a good yeast for this years zin...i have some nice packs of yeast d254, d80, ec1118, R15, ..Im looking for some fruit taste, plum, blueberry, jammy , coffee, pepper spice..which one should i go with . i will be using colavita zin grapes this year:fsh
I have used syrah yeast with zin and petite syrah and liked it allot.Aging in oak barrels will give you the coffee,and spice flavors your looking for as well.

I used it on fresh OVZ grapes. The results were good. However, I had a completely different issue that has pretty much rendered that batch a throw away.

If the OVZ is from fresh grapes and there is a reason to think the result will have a vegetative, herbaceous taste (caused by methoxy pyrazine), I would consider utilizing a yeast strain, which helps restrain that bad taste. Rockpile doesn't do that for you.
Those must have been some seriously under ripe grapes to have to throw the batch away. I doubt any yeast could correct if at that level. Even GRE. There is some talk of Colavita Grapes. If you are looking for true ripeness the Brix is not the only key. You have to examine the seeds. If they are green and not brown, if they taste astringent when chewed and not nutty and flavorful there is a good chance the grapes did not have sufficient Hang Time and were picked solely on reaching a certain Brix level. Reasons for picking early are many. Threat of Rain ( especially Zin as they do not dry out well due to tight spacing of the grapes in the bunch which increases mold growth) , Packer's Schedules, and the fear of too high a Brix before the grapes are really mature. I would be very wary of an Old Vine Zin from Lodi if the Brix were lower than 25. Lanza Zins can be as high as 26 but the grapes are mature or they won't ship. That is their policy.
Malvina

Those must have been some seriously under ripe grapes to have to throw the batch away. I doubt any yeast could correct if at that level. Even GRE. There is some talk of Colavita Grapes. If you are looking for true ripeness the Brix is not the only key. You have to examine the seeds. If they are green and not brown, if they taste astringent when chewed and not nutty and flavorful there is a good chance the grapes did not have sufficient Hang Time and were picked solely on reaching a certain Brix level. Reasons for picking early are many. Threat of Rain ( especially Zin as they do not dry out well due to tight spacing of the grapes in the bunch which increases mold growth) , Packer's Schedules, and the fear of too high a Brix before the grapes are really mature. I would be very wary of an Old Vine Zin from Lodi if the Brix were lower than 25. Lanza Zins can be as high as 26 but the grapes are mature or they won't ship. That is their policy.
Malvina

You are right, not even GRE could have helped these grapes, but in less aggressive cases, it can reduce herbaceousness somewhat.

I made 8 gallons of red Zin and 3 gallons of rose from it, also. The rose is not quite as bad, but still not pleasant at all.

I bought the grapes from a LHBS (Monument, Colorado). These were grapes from the Lodi area from last September, when frosts, rains, and what have you affected to crop. However, I got around to tasting another guy's OVZ bought at the same LHBS the previous year, and the grapes were grown at the same vineyard. They were just as bad, so I doubt weather was really the factor. Probably just bad vineyard practices and grapes picked too early.

I have tried several things to remedy the taste but nothing has worked, yet. I am still working with it, but doubt anything is going to help. One wine chemist said only reverse osmosis would help. For 11 gallons of wine!!! Ugh!

I am open for suggestions.

The MP is so bad it makes me shutter when I take a sip of it. I wrote the LHBS and told him; he said I must have done something wrong in my processing. Guess he must think I added 25 pounds of green grass during fermentation. I told him if he can produce a bottle of wine, that is not herbaceous, from that same batch from the same year I will eat my words. He hasn't done so and I am sure he can't.

Needless so say, I won't be buying any grapes from that LHBS again.

Latest posts

Back