RJ Spagnols RJS Port kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
coffee port

the type of instant coffee didn't matter(decafe or reg) the fact that it added a stronger coffee taste to the already sweet mix that's what counts and over time a chocolate nuance will take place and the coffee will be less pronounced but still in the foreground .:hug

Ken K,

When your wine is clear and adding something makes it cloudy, the likely suspect is gas.

I haven't added superkleer after the fpack, but it is probably worth a try to degass, rack, and then add another round of superkleer.

I have had two batches that I thought weren't clearing, but actually had gas. So I added superkleer once and thought it didn't work, but degassed and racked, then added it again, and it worked like a charm. The typical advice on the forum (wait and wait some more) would not have worked b/c I really needed to stir the heck out of it.

Good luck!
Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Bottled our RJ's coffee port the other day. The f-pack is what clouds it up a bit since it's bag full of brownish syrupy sludge, it's not an issue as it still looks nice in the glass and tastes fine. Although it's a bit too much on the sweet side for our tastes, it does make a really nice wine reduction sauce.

Although it's a bit too much on the sweet side for our tastes, it does make a really nice wine reduction sauce.

They are too sweet as packaged, IMHO. I bumped up the ABV on my Black Forest Port last year by step feeding with additional sugar, AND adding brandy. I think it produced a much more enjoyable wine. Additionally, I don't think I was too careful in getting every last drop out of that fpac. ;)

They are too sweet as packaged, IMHO. I bumped up the ABV on my Black Forest Port last year by step feeding with additional sugar, AND adding brandy. I think it produced a much more enjoyable wine. Additionally, I don't think I was too careful in getting every last drop out of that fpac. ;)

I agree, but unfortunately it's too late for this batch. I did add a bit of brandy, and like you, I wasn't all that concerned about squeezing every last drop out of the f-pack. I'll tweak it a bit more next time.

Brian55, I added almost all of the fpacks last year on the coffee and Black Forest ports, fortified with some brandy, and they tasted great.

I will likely do more like 75% of the fpack this year just because I am adding oak, tannins, espresso powder, etc and want a more layered flavor.

Heather

Brian55, I added almost all of the fpacks last year on the coffee and Black Forest ports, fortified with some brandy, and they tasted great.

I will likely do more like 75% of the fpack this year just because I am adding oak, tannins, espresso powder, etc and want a more layered flavor.

Heather

I'm going try experimenting with additions as I open each bottle to see if I can find anything that helps.

blackberry port

what say ye to the over all taste and finish tweaked as apposed to straight mix, I have two of these kits sitting in the wines and have not decided on route to take as of yet,. Thought's? I have never added brandy anyone out there wants to swap me a bottle that has brandy my cellar is open to what ever you desire.:dg

Joe,

I'd love to trade. I have a Black Forest Port from 2013 that was both step fed and given brandy. Went through an entire liter of it the other night with some neighbors. It is getting really good reviews. Much better than the RJS Orange Chocolate from the year prior that was just given brandy. For my taste, these really need a good, high ABV to balance out the sweetness.

Jim.

How and when exactly you added brandy?

I have a WE raspberry chocolate almost cleared now and will be racking Friday for final aging.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Sorry - duplicate post, and I didn't see your follow up. :slp

I added about 3/4 of a bottle. You need to go by taste though. I'd start with half a bottle. Gently stir and let it sit a few weeks to blend in.

I added brandy and the fpack right at bottling time on the coffee and Black Forest last year.

Joe, would be happy to swap a bottle. PM me...,

Heather

I am bottling today. Here is what I added:

Coffee port
-Oak powder and ground coffee in primary
-bulk aged six weeks on heavy toast oak chips
-Added full f pack and 1.5 cups of brandy
Tastes awesome!

Caramel port
-Toasted oak powder in primary
-Bulk aged six weeks on heavy toast oak chips
-Added full f pack and 1.5 cups brandy
Tasted a bit boring compared to the coffee, so I added two tablespoons of vanilla extract - now it tastes awesome!

I tried both batches with 3/4 of the f pack and they were a bit limited on taste and body, so made the decision to go with the full f pack.

The addition of the coffee f pack, which is brownish, made the batch less clear in the bucket but looks good in a glass.

Heather

port kits

THIS, is what I found to work with the coffee port best.
lets say you've bottled it ,in give away bottles and it's time for some to be given out. Uncork what you want to give away and run them through a coffee filter of some sort this will eliminate some of the grit and cloudiness and represents a better finished product which represents your skills as a wine maker....just a trick I use for judging contest and sending......................:spm.this can apply to any wine your sending......:mny

Last edited:
I have a question for you folks who have finished and enjoy the flavored ports.
Do you like flavored coffees?
The reason I ask is that the chocolate raspberry/orange port sounds amazingly good, but I can't stand chocolate raspberry (or any other flavored) coffee because they taste artificial and overly strong to me. I just like straight coffee (with cream and sugar).
I LOVE jelly filled chocolate candy, which is what it sounds like, but I'm a little leery of trying a whole port kit in case it turns out with that flavored coffee kind of taste.
Thanks!

@TemperanceOwl: I HATE flavored coffee. :D

Well, 'hate' is probably too strong a word. But I never drink it (unless there's nothing else available). I've only done a couple of the port kits, and made according to the directions, they are too sweet/flavored for me (but still pretty good). When I did the Black Forest Port last year, I step fed to get the ABV up and fortified with Brandy. I think the higher ABV and brandy balanced out the super sweet f-pac and I have a wine that I (and others) rave about. In hindsight, a kiss of oak and/or tannin would have made this wine absolutely amazing, but it is very good as it is.

Back