RJ Spagnols RJS Port kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ken I was pointing out to richmke that the instructions had been changed. Personally I don't worry about not being able to see through a port style wine. You should see some of the real ports I drink, some of them have to poured through a strainer before drinking.

I add the f-pack in the bottling bucket. All 3 kits are clear (holding the bottles up to a bright light), however the coffee kit is nearly black. Take a small sample in a small test tube (or narrow champagne flute) and shine a bright light through it.

When I ask people about the attributes of a red wine, they generally rank them (1-10, 10 being most important);

Flavor 10
Aroma 5
Color 3
Clarity 3

The color and clarity are usually considered much more important for White and Rosé wines.

Coffee port

following the instructions on this one is what you should do but don't be afraid to think outside the box and enhance the product.
ALL TWEAKS SHOULD GO INT SECONDARY SO THAT TIME WILL ALLOW THEM TO MACERATE AND INFUSE THEMSELVES INTO THE MIX.

7 add tannin.jpg

IMG_20140920_110158964.jpg

Well I used a super kleer this afternoon and its really cloudy at this point - I guess the next 48 hours will be telling. I suspect the SK will pass through and I get what I get and it will go to bottle. Hoping for the best. Any advice is always welcome.

I like the RJS kits and have made several in recent years - this was a real surprise to me with the instruction change.

Ken

port kits

give the superkleer 48 hours to do it's job, you should have know problems clearing..:u

Roger on the 48. SK has worked in the past well so I trust it. I have been following your threads on the coffee port kit tweaks - all very interesting and I have a second kit on the way so the second carboy will be "tweaked". BTW was that tannin a teaspoon or tablespoon in the picture post 24?

Ken

port kits

did you find the tweaks helpful and do you understand why they go where they go into the mix?:ib

I understand them and where in the process they go. Curious why you show decaffeinated instant coffee though?

Well its past 48 hours and SC has only done a little clearing - the port still has a dark cloudy color - could be a very long wait here - any words of encouragement?

Since the SC the color is more dark brown than black as previously seen.

Well its past 48 hours and SC has only done a little clearing - the port still has a dark cloudy color - could be a very long wait here - any words of encouragement?

Since the SC the color is more dark brown than black as previously seen.

Words of encouragement: It's a coffee port, as others have said, a lot of commercial ports are not even close to sparklingly clear. Let it be what it wants to be. How does it taste?

Going to take my time here and let the wine clear some more. It smells awesome. I have a replacement kit coming as well. I love the port style wine kits. Blackberry has been a favorite of mine and the coffee will be a real treat for the holidays. A fire outside with coffee port and a nice cigar - now that's living. Second kit will have Joe's enhancements as well!

As a side note this is a great forum - I really appreciate the guidance and help!

Ken

If you added superkleer and it is still cloudy at all after 48 hours, I would splash rack and degas aggressively. If needed, you could hit it with SK again after racking/degassing. The port base should be clear before adding the fpack; my kits have gotten all the way clarified so yours can too.

My ports are very clear and bulk aging in carboys.

RJS ports have new instructions that the port must be clarified prior to adding the fpack - there was an extra loose piece of paper in addition to my instructions stating that, and actually it contradicted the instructions.

I rack to a 6 gallon primary when bottling to have room for the fpack and brandy, and typically end up with 36 bottles rather than 30. So I planned ahead with extra bottles and labels this year!

Heather

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

I followed the addendum instructions and the base was perfectly clear - the problem came after the Fpack addition. No real change in the dark brown cloudy color since the SC at this point. Next step will be to try and cold shock the batch.

All my other ports are very clear and wonderful - this seems to be a real problem. When you added your Fpack to the coffee port was the content of the Fpack clear or like a creamed coffee color? My Fpack was not clear at all.

I keep hoping for a change and desperately want this port to turn out.

Ken

No replacement. No luck there. I purchased a replacement kit in the interim so I did not miss the seasonal release. 5 days now with SC and nothing but dark brown cloudy wine. My thoughts:

1 - Rack and try sparkaloid
2 - Cold shock
3 - Filter (least desirable choice)

Ken

Latest posts

Back