RJ Spagnols RJS Port kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
I just started my kits today. I was a little surprised to find that they don't have any chaptilization sugar and only start at an SG of 1.115 so they will likely dry out completely to ~16% ABV. The f-packs don't look very large so I'm guessing the FG in the bottle will be 1.010 give or take. People rave about these RJS Port kits, and it sounds like they will be less sweet than the WE Ports so I'm stoked!

I started my RJS caramel port today. My SG is 1.116 and I plan to fortify with brandy. I also added a little french oak to the primary.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I've never tasted a port with toasted oak. It sounds like a good addition

I just ended up with 3 more kits. It turns out I accidentally doubled my order. So... now I'm working on the Holidays of 2015, too.

Started my first attempt at coffee port today. Has anyone added oak to one of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Racked off my coffee port to secondary last week. Now the long 40 day wait.

The flavor of my kit is good, but it is not coffee, caramel, etc without the F pack.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Started my first attempt at coffee port today. Has anyone added oak to one of these? If so, what are your thoughts?

Yep, the first time I made the coffee one I added 1 TBL oak powder and 1 TBL instant coffee. This time I will add espresso powder and heavy toast oak chips. These things balance the sweetness of the f-pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Yep, the first time I made the coffee one I added 1 TBL oak powder and 1 TBL instant coffee. This time I will add espresso powder and heavy toast oak chips. These things balance the sweetness of the f-pack.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Makin

Thanks for the response. I have some heavy toast oak chips on hand, I'll try those out.

Yeah, my first 3 kits finished @ 0.994 so I tasted the base. It's surprisingly good! Full bodied and firm tannins.

Just curious, I have completed the coffee port kit and the product was very clear until the FPack, now absolutely no light penetrates the wine. Did you experience the same issue or did yours come out clear after the FPack addition?

Ken

The fpacks will cloud them up, by they fall clear in a day or two without any problems.

Thanks for the reply....actually it's been several weeks now and the wine still allows no light to penetrate it. It was crystal clear before the FPack - Never had this happen before and wanted to see if this was just specific to the coffee port kit. Not sure where to go from here. Sparkaloid perhaps????

Ken

... the coffee port kit and the product was very clear until the FPack, now absolutely no light penetrates the wine.

Seems like you clarified (Kieselsol and Chicagosan) before adding the f-pack.

The 6-week Specialty instructions are:

Day 10-14:
Step 4 & 5: Stabilize with K-Meta and K-Sorbate.
Step 6: Add the F-Pack
Step 7: Degass. This also mixes in the F-pack
Step 8: Clarify with Kieselsol and Chitosan.

It should be clear by Day 42.

Where to go from here:
Option 1: Bulk age, and let time clarify
Option 2: Sparkaloid, superkleer, or whatever your favorite clarifying pack.

My RJS coffee port kit that I just started came with a change to the instructions that said to add the fpac after the wine had been cleared.

That's the process I followed based on the addendum in the kit. All was good to day 42 and crystal clear - now no light penetration and its been several weeks. Does anyone believe a sparkaloid round would work without side affects here? I hate to see the batch not turn out.

I should clarify here - FPACK after clearing per the kit instructions. The Fpack was not clear - anyone else have this concern?

Last edited:
Back