Riesling has odd smell/taste

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
Back in January I used Homewinery's Riesling concentrate along with some QA23 yeast. It's been a couple months now and it has an odd smell/taste. It doesn't smell off as in bad, just a weird flavor/aroma. The best way I could describe it is minerally but it's certainly not something I've ever noticed/tasted in a commercial Riesling. I made a strawberry f-pac to go in hoping that'd cover up a bit and it has helped some with the taste but the smell is still there.

Any thoughts on this or advice on taking the smell/taste away? It's my first time with this concentrate and this yeast so I'm not sure which is truly the culprit.

I've used their concentrates and never noticed any off smell. Wonder if that yeast strain had anything to do with it?

When making wine, the wine goes thru a lot of different taste before it is mature. I would say you need at least a year before this wine is at its best. Also, and this is strictly my opinion. I believe Homewinery uses seconds for making their grape concentrates. With that said it will take a little longer to mature, just be patient. The wine will come around.

Ahh..thanks Julie. I was hoping to use their concentrates to make quick to drink wines in between making more serious stuff from juice buckets. Guess that might not work out so well then. I'll keep it around and try to forget about it. Hopefully it'll all work out.

As for the yeast, I don't know if that contributed at all. I bought it at my LHBS because they said they just got it in and was good for whites. The only thing I'll say is I plan on researching my yeast before I order another time. I don't think that yeast was the best choice.

You should look at buying some of their fruit concentrates, they would be more of an early drinker

Latest posts

Back