Rhubarb and Pineapple Bottled

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xandra

Reaction score
Finally got around to bottling the rhubarb and pineapple batches. Each was a gallon. The rhubarb turned out to be 12% ABV, the Pineapple is 17% ABV. The pineapple is extremely good over ice with a splash of coconut liqueur, and both should be served cold. Unfortunately, I kept drinking from the gallon, so only ended up with 3 1/2 bottles of pineapple. *grin*

Hoping to get the Skeeter Pee bottled by next weekend.

Rhubarb in the garden is ready to cut, but I think I'll cut it and freeze it, and let more stalks grow to cut and freeze. I"ll get more liquid from it doing it that way. Am doing a lot of travel for work now so will have to choreograph the winemaking activities carefully.

No chemicals in either batch, just juice, sugar and yeast.

Rhubarb and Pineapple.jpg

Hi Xandra
Very nice looking wine! I was wondering what your recipe is for the rhubarb wine. I have some cut up and in the freezer now.

On this web site http://www.savor-the-rhubarb.com/rhubarb-wine.html I looked at the different recipes and took some ideas from each of them to come up with my own. Since it was my first wine, I didn't think to write down the recipe or the steps, but I didn't use anything other than fruit, sugar and yeast. Other than using the Campden to sanitize my equipment. It was only a gallon batch, as that's all the rhubarb my garden gave me. This year, I'm slicing and freezing the rhubarb until I have enough for a 5 gallon batch... then I'll write down the recipe and the steps. I did have to backsweeten with simple syrup. I don't have information regarding use of energizers or clearing or pectin or tannins, etc... It took a very long time to clear. I did regularly degass it, however, which helped in the clearing process I'm sure. Sorry I can't be of more help on this one. Good luck, let us know if you find a good recipe and are happy with the results :)

Hi Xandra
Thanks for the information. I have started my batch of rhubarb 7 pear wine . I am using about 2lbs of each. I also am adding on container of Welch's white grape juice, the juice of two oranges, about 1/4 cup of golden raisins, one banana chopped and added to 4 cups of water boiled, and strained. Also yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, tannin, peptic enzyme, and a campden tablet. How do you think this looks? I have a batch of Honeysuckle wine going with a similar recipe.

Looks great. Enjoy them!

No chemicals in either batch, just juice, sugar and yeast.

Water = H2O
Sugar = sucrose = equal parts glucose (C6H12O6) and fructose (C6H12O6)
Yeast = thousands of different biochemicals
Pineapple juice = ethyl butyrate (the pineapple aroma molecule)
Rhubarb = oxalic acid

and many more.

(sorry - the chemist in me couldn't resist :)

xandra did you have any off smells with your pineapple during your time with it before bottleing it

Hi Xandra
Thanks for the information. I have started my batch of rhubarb 7 pear wine . I am using about 2lbs of each. I also am adding on container of Welch's white grape juice, the juice of two oranges, about 1/4 cup of golden raisins, one banana chopped and added to 4 cups of water boiled, and strained. Also yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, tannin, peptic enzyme, and a campden tablet. How do you think this looks? I have a batch of Honeysuckle wine going with a similar recipe.

Given that I've only made 4 batches of wine in my life (not counting some hootch as a teenager), and given that the Skeeter Pee was the only batch I used nutrient, energizer, tannin or campden in, I'm far from being any kind of expert. However, the palate in my imagination thinks this should be quite tasty, although I'm unsure about the banana. But then, I only like bananas fresh out of the peel, so there's some bias there. Is this a 1 gallon batch, or bigger?

Back