Rhode Island Redneck?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I would say yes to be out driving on a local pond with only 6 inches of ice on it! My two brothers and I were there yesterday doing a little ice fishing and we saw this:
istockphoto_1219202_pickup_truck_on_ice.jpg

Edited by: masta

One word, "NUTS!"

If that had been my truck, it would end up at the bottom of the lake!

That is what we said...there where three trucks in all that went out onto the ice at different times. It was amazing how much the ice was snapping and cracking under our feet with the weight of the trucks down the other end of the pond.

We won't go out till there is a foot of ice...We're not going down with the ship..

Yesterday we moved our fish house...there was 25 inches of ice now, that was a lot of work......the place we moved to is bad....The Dead Sea....Might move again tomorrow...Getting better with the GPS finding spots we were at last year..moving the fish house often keeps us in shape...better than sitting in the house..

Crazy, with only six inches of ice I wouldn't even ride my snowmobile across it.

There is an American Legion Hall right on the pond so this activity of driving trucks on the ice was alcohol induced!

On the lake we go to there is 'The Lodge' at one of the public access'...many guys that go to the lake to fish only get a few 'bottle-bass', they never leave the parking lot.

Last week we had many nights that got down to -25*F to -28*F...we went to the lake and it was just erie....when the lake is 'making-ice' it just growns...it ws so noisy, it was like being in a violent thunder storm...

When we were leaving we saw that the ice had expanded and made ice-heaves along shore...
smiley3.gif

heavesSmall.jpg

Sometimes there will be pressure ridges in the middle of the lake...When water freezes it expands and heaves like that....Just like when your water pipes freeze...the water expands and the pipes break...heaven forbid!!!
smiley3.gif

I've seen ice heaves that were about six feet high up here, but this year it is just beginning to freeze enough for fishing. I don't think it will freeze over completely this year. It hasn't frozen completely in a few years now. I agree it is a little eerie when the lakes groan and creak while making ice. It's also a little freaky when you go out on the lake and when you return there is a 4 foot gap in the ice where it moved during the day. You have to take a slight detour.

We moved our fish house again this afternoon...I think the lake is dead...

Here is a slab of ice Jim pulled out of the hole...27" thick...very safe to drive on...and a 'bear' to get a big home drilled.

iceSmall.jpg

The day the ice heaved in that photo in a previous Post....a friend was fishing back in the bay...when he was coming out, the channel was blocked by a pile of ice and there was water on top of the ice...he drove along the heave and could see we were at our house, he was going to walk over but found a place where the ice wasn't too high and no open water, just water on top of the ice...so he chiseled off the ice and drove over to our house...his eyes were like saucers...he was pretty tired, wet and glad to have gotten across the ice heave.

It's amazing what the ice can do...like come away from shore ...or heave up in the middle of the lake...lots of pressure...and the wind can make it creak and moan...another one of natures mysteries.

Edited by: Northern Winos

Are the photos not showing up for you Wade...Gee..I hate when that happens....Sometimes I get lucky and they come through...

Some days I see peoples photos on their Posts....and then call that page up for replies and the photos are not there....then they are back another time.....one of those computer mysteries...?

I wonder what people are really thinking when they do a stunt like that driving on the ice! Yes, alcohol indulged, but I wouldn't drive my old rusted out pickup let along a nice new looking one. Can you imagine the News "GONE FISHING"! with the pickup at the bottom of the lake. I can see their faces now, along with the insurance company saying." Sorry your policy doesn't cover"road fishing"!

Back