Rethinking my entire operation!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My friends and family like my wine more then store bought wine. I don't have pretentious wine friends lol

If you go vinegar, please make sure it is far away from your wine making area. Keep the equipment and tools apart.

Thinking some of that wine would make great wine jelly, chocolate wine sauces, herb infused wine marinades, spiced wine during holiday. So many options other than disposing of it. But, it is Elmer's call.

Outside of the clarity/sediment have you recd any feedback on your bottled wines?
Dropped a bottle at LHBS, shipped to someone on forum, etc?

:u
Thank you for all the advice.

As far as feed back, most people say it is drinkable, but no one ever drinks a bottle when at my house. People bring thier own and open that instead of my wine. I will bring bottles to someone's dinner party and next visit the wine is still their.
Anytime someone comes over I usually tell someone to "try this" and get feed back. I have even tricked them and left a cup of wine sitting next to an opened bottle of name brand stuff and then get some feed back.

I have never sent to anyone on the forum for feedback. I dont know anyone well enough to do so!

Over the weekend I opened a bottle of 2007 Mosti Mondale red baroque wine. It was not bad, had a decent flavor. But it tasted cheap! It had an after taste that is prevalent in most of my early MM kits.

So I took the bottle and mixed it with a bottle of Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother).
I mixed it in a 32 oz bottle that I will not be able to use for wine purposes and placed it in the cabinet in the back with the fancy plates that never get used.
I will see what happens.

I would considering mixing the wines but the flavors vary: shiraz, Castel del Papa, Carmenere, Sangiovese, Valpolicella & a Caberlot (Cabernet Sauvignon and fruity Merlot.).
I would not even know which to mix. But I guess it could not hurt to experiment with 5 bottles in a gallor jug.

But please dont get me wrong, I dont want to consider what I have done a failure, but I am no longer willing to store and age wines that will never see the light of day.
For instance I am about to start a batch of skeeter pee. I know I will drink it, especially if it is cold. More so if I leave it in a gallon jug in the fridge!
I am not opening a 2006 bottle of Caberlot (Cabernet Sauvignon and fruity Merlot.)

I think I will make some vinegar.
Try mixing a few bottles.

And make way for 1 really high end kit. I am thinking a high end Malbec (my wife discovered this variety in napa last weekend).
And I will move on from making cheap wine
And begin making good wine!
:dg

Last edited:
I may be biased but my recently bottled kits are every bit as good if not better then most $8-10/bottle commercial wine I regularly buy.

And they only cost about $3.00/bottle to make!

Hey Elmer! Every journey begins with the first step. It sounds like you have your direction set. Go for it and good luck!

agree with everyone, do what you think is best, and what you want to do..
Plus.....not sure if it is strong enough to light a fire, but when you do your goop dance, add some to the pile........
good luck in what ever you do with it...
as sara said, you can make some nice sauces out of it.

pulled out and tried a 2011 MM Valpolicella last night.
It was drinkable, but watery and thin!

So I gave 2 bottles to my mother in-law!

Clearing room for a high end kit! (they better be worth the $)

Latest posts

Back