refrigerating K-meta ???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
OK, I recently found out you should refrigerate K-metta ( potassium metabisulfite) Just used my last bit. Getting ready to order more. Is there anything else I need to refrigerate?

Goodbye refrigerator. The stuff is corrosive. I wouldn't take a chance on it getting loose in the fridge.

Hi Tess,

I have never heard that, but that doesn't mean it is not true. I guess refrigerating it would tend to keep it dry, which sure makes it easier to measure and mix.

I have never refrigerated mine. Be sure to whif test your new batch of k-meta to make sure it is plenty strong. I recently ordered a full pound from Morewines and it had no strength at all; it might as well have been salt.

A whif test is - make a standard sanitizing solution of 3 tablespoons of k-meta powder to one gallon of water. Mix it and shake it up well; then with your hand, very carefully wave the fumes toward your nose (carefully!). If it makes you pull back, it is good.

Goodbye refrigerator. The stuff is corrosive. I wouldn't take a chance on it getting loose in the fridge.

You put it in a tupperware container you don't pour it out in your fridge. lol. I have no problem putting mine in the fridge. Some people keep it in the freezer. I just want to know if there is anything else I need to keep refrigerated

I refrigerate yeast and PE, everything else goes in the cupboard.

I always refrigerate yeast. Even when its just for making bread and rolls. Whats PE? Peptic enzyme. See that what I need to know

I just took the bottom drawer in the fridge. Told the family whats going on!! If My husband can keep his wax worms in there he uses for fishing I can have a wine supply drawer. I dont think anyone opens it anyway but me. lol. Or kids are grown. Its just us so should be fine lol

So PE is peptic enzyme? I just put it in. Thanks Dan. Wax worms stay alive longer when refrigerated so they dont dry out Doug. They will last up to a week in there. Wont refrigerate K-meta

I have always refrigerated my kmeta in a bag with the air removed, and the bag in a ziplock container. The low humidity keeps it dry. The ziplock bag keeps the air out of it. I have no idea why anyone would recommend against it. I also do the same thing with my yeast nutrient, dry yeast packets, pectic enzymes and potassium sorbate.

Not to keep it cool necessarily but to keep it dry and to keep the air out of it.

The kmeta isn't gonna kill your wax worms or deteriorate your fridge if you seal it up properly. My fridge is still running great with no problems and I've done it for years.

How long is PE good for if I haven't refrigerated it? I think the small pack I have in a ziploc Baggie is about 2 months old...

How long is PE good for if I haven't refrigerated it? I think the small pack I have in a ziploc Baggie is about 2 months old...

I chuck most of my additives every 6 months, they probably last longer but it's cheap enough. Fruits the most expensive part of any wine, why chance $50 of fruit on $3 worth of additive? Don't want be penny wise and dollar foolish.

Thank You dressmaker... Some one has backed me up on this!! Im not crazy!! I know I have read it on here..I was starting to feel a little let down!! maybe its just me

I chuck most of my additives every 6 months, they probably last longer but it's cheap enough. Fruits the most expensive part of any wine, why chance $50 of fruit on $3 worth of additive? Don't want be penny wise and dollar foolish.

I bought a pound of PE over a month ago. I just now refrigerated it. Im ready to chuck it to just because Im not sure about it

Why did buy a pound of PE?? I have no idea. Im new!! learning here :( My k-meta does go pretty quick tough lol

I hope my post didn't cause you to feel that way. The only thing I really get paranoid about is my yeast and sorbate. If I were in your shoes I'd probably hold onto your PE. I buy mine sitting on a shelf, who knows how long it's been there before I bought it and refrigerated it. I personally don't think it's the end of the world if the PE (or acid, nutrient, ect,) isn't the freshest. PE I think the worst that happens you'll get some pectin haze later which is curable. Acids, nutrients and energizers I think is pretty much elemental, so probably doesn't go bad. I just replace everything as a general practice.

One thing I have learned is to be realistic with your goals when purchasing additives. I've made about 70 gallons of wine in the past year, only 18 of which I planned to back sweeten, did I really need a pound of sorbate? :) Think about what you have on the agenda and buy additives accordingly.

Why did buy a pound of PE?? I have no idea. Im new!! learning here :( My k-meta does go pretty quick tough lol

:) I guess you already learned that lesson. We all go through the same learning curves I guess. :b

I don't want no K-meta in my Frigidaire!

I do keep yeast in there. At the class I took at the home brew shop they never said to refrigerate K-meta, just keep it in a dark or cooler place like your work area in the basement.

Latest posts

Back