Refrigerating Grapes After Picking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackl

Junior
Reaction score
I grow Marquette in upstate NY and currently based on samples from various locations my brix readings range from 15 - 21. I’d like to keep them on the vine for another week or maybe 2. However, I need to go away for 2 weeks and will run into processing timeline conflicts. Any issue in picking the clusters and storing them in a refrigerator for 2 weeks before pressing? If so, I may just have to pick them a bit early so I can get them into secondary fermentation before I leave.

Fresh grapes are successfully shipped under refrigeration from Chile to the northern hemisphere. My understanding is thirty years ago Benolate fungicide was sparred on them to prevent mold. currently I think they are treated with SO2 ,,, grapes can be kept with industrial processes.
For home freezing would work. I will guess that starting the ferment producing about 5% alcohol and then refrigeration till you have time also would work ,,, ie a beer/ cider like processed.

There is a risk of mold if you are 40 to 50F with high humidity.

Latest posts

Back