Red wine for your 'teeth'

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
We all knew that red wine is good for us and now it's even better:

From Newsmax newsletter

Red wine may stain your teeth, but new research shows it also keeps them from decaying. Italian scientists demonstrated red wine made it difficult for harmful bacteria to cling to teeth, and, in a statement on the United Kingdom's National Health Service site, concluded that the prevention of tooth decay "may be another beneficial effect of the moderate consumption of red wine."

The bacteria that causes the most dental damage is streptococcus mutans, which sets up housekeeping in the mouth by sticking to tooth enamel and living off sugar. Once this bad bacteria takes hold, it triggers demineralization, and acid begins making pits.

Following the lead of U.S. scientists, who last year discovered that chemicals in the seeds and skins of wine grapes blocked the ability of bacteria to bind with tooth enamel, researchers at Italy's Pavia University conducted experiments using red wine. In order to rule out any effect of alcohol on the research, they used an Italian wine with all its alcohol removed, and found that it indeed had the same effect of making it difficult for bacteria to attach themselves and also kept them from forming a layer of biofilm on teeth.

The active protective ingredient, the Italians said, was a group of compounds found mainly in grape skins called proanthocyanidins, which are high in antioxidants. They are now investigating the possibility of extracting the compounds and using them as a form of treatment on their own.

If red wine is so good for teeth, what about white wine? It turns out that those who prefer white wine are out of luck at least as far as dental health is concerned. Another recent study demonstrated that white wine could actually be harmful to teeth because its high acid content erodes tooth enamel.

For the moment, at least, when glasses are raised with toasts of "Salud!" it might be best to hoist a glass of red (but no more than two a day for men and one for women). Besides the dental benefits, even more studies suggest that moderate drinkers of red wine score higher on mental acuity tests than teetotalers, and that it can improve the immune system as well as battle diabetes, obesity, and the onset of aging.

© 2010 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

How about that:
rrawhide

More good news!

I had my annual checkup Friday and as always a discussion of limiting food intake came up (which I really do eat much less than the average person). I asked the doctor if I should cut out the wine to help lose weight. He told me NO. Cut calories elsewhere if needed but that the red wine is good for you as always in moderation. A couple glasses is fine ( I wonder if that is a full 32 ouncer?).

rrawhide,

You reported that they removed the alcohol to control for that factor in their research. An obvious question, for which you might not have the answer, is how much of the "good stuff" to which they attributed the positive results would be present in grape juice, e.g., Welch's? Or, is there something about the winemaking process that produces or concentrates the beneficial compounds?

If the compounds are found in grape skins, I suppose that might depend on how much the grape juice was in contact with the skins.

Arden

hi Arden

I think that you should refer this question to a couple of our chemists
that we have as members. They will probably have an answer for you. try our member' ibglowin' as he is a chemist.

rrawhide

Maybe this helps:

<div ="Kona">

"A study with the aim to find whether red wine
has a protective effect on the teeth has carried out by Gazzani and her
colleagues, Professor of Department of Medicinal Chemistry in
University of Pavia, Italy. Firstly, the researchers purchased ordinary
red wine from supermarket and then did dealcoholization. The purpose of
using dealcoholization wine is to discover which substances play the
role, alcohol or other substances. The teeth are easily damaged by
Streptococcus mutans in mouth, which survive by relying on sugar in
food. Once the Streptococcus mutans affix the teeth, the surface of
teeth will be carried out to the mineralization and the acid substance
has the opportunity to get in, then corrosion teeth happened. From this
experiment, researchers discovered that Streptococcus mutans are easy
to mix with saliva and adhere the teeth, the dealcoholization red wine
can prevent the viscosity of saliva or dental bacteria.

Researchers
said that the material which can block Streptococcus mutans is a
compounds called proanthocyanidins. From previous study,
proanthocyanidins is a kind of antioxidan which can be found in a
variety of foods such as grapes, apples, cinnamon, cocoa, tea and so
on. Besides, grape skin and grape seeds contain proanthocyanidins, but
the researchers do not know whether grape juice has the function of
protecting the teeth. "As for grape juice, we have no data now,"
Gazzani said, "but we believe that the finding from red wine does not
apply to grape juice, because the chemical composition in grape juice
and grape wine is different."

The acids and sugars in some red
wine can cause tooth decay, but according to the findings of Gazzani,
red wine also has the function of protecting the teeth. so it can be
described as mixing merits and demerits. In addition, red wine benefits
the health a lot, for example, red wine can increase brain power, boost
the immune system function, prevent diabetes and obesity, anti-aging
and so on. People with moderate consumption of red wine are more
sensitive on thinking than those who have never had alcohol. This is
because natural active ingredients in the grape skins can promote
healthy blood flow to the brain. However, remember that excessive
drinking may lead to high blood pressure, liver disease, infertility
and so on."

Manu Wallace

Thank you, admiral, that answered my questions very well.

Arden

I have to wonder if this study was funded by Academics, Dentist, The Church or the wine industry.
smiley2.gif

Maybe I just need a glass of wine so my "thinking becomes more sensitive."

smiley2.gif
Admiral, I think you are right!! I'm 82 and I think the infertility is now a fact of life!!!!!

rrawhide said:
hi Arden

I think that you should refer this question to a couple of our chemists that we have as members. They will probably have an answer for you. try our member' ibglowin' as he is a chemist.

rrawhide

Aren't we ' All' 'Chemists' since we change water into wine?
smiley4.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back