"Red Star" yeast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Reaction score
Quick question guys, in my "arsenal" I found 4 packets of yeast my local supplier gave me back in early October.

All 4 packets are Red Star brand yeast, 3 packets are color red and 1 is color green.
The red packets say "Pasteur Red" and the green packet says "Cotes des Blancs", looks like they're made in Belgium.

So......questions:

1-what's the difference in the 2 colors
2-how good is this yeast. I am planing to make a dragon blood skeeter pee and want to make sure any one of these packets can be used for a 6gal pail.

red star yeast.jpg

Last edited:
They are fine. Green for whites, red for reds. I am making skeeter pee now and used Red Star champagne, it is working out very fast.

thanks guys, wanted to make sure as I see many people talking about EC-1118 yeast all the times, and since I have this Red Star at hand I wanted to use 1 packet for my experiment.

I have used Red Star exclusively up to this point, Premier Cuvee and Montrachet. I have only had one problem and that was easily solved. I had a recent "rotten egg" smell with the Montrachet but that was solved with some splash racking.

I will probably try some Lalvin yeast on my next order, I hear nothing but good things about it.

Must say that I am not a big fan of red star. I have had major sulphur issues in the past when using this brand. IMHO, I prefer lalvin.

Make sure you check the expiration date on the packets. If kept cool and dry, you should be OK.

Expiration date on red packets is 2012, so they're good.

Must say that I am not a big fan of red star. I have had major sulphur issues in the past when using this brand. IMHO, I prefer lalvin.

Make sure you check the expiration date on the packets. If kept cool and dry, you should be OK.

i agree with you john about preferring lavlin, but i think my mindset might be from before i got into wine making....i have always associated red star with baking yeast, and i just cannot get that factoid out of my head no matter how hard i try.....lol...i know, i'm crazy for it, but i just can't shake that mindset....so unless red star comes with a kit i happen to be making, i always buy and use lavlin when i am making any of my other wines....

i agree with you john about preferring lavlin, but i think my mindset might be from before i got into wine making....i have always associated red star with baking yeast, and i just cannot get that factoid out of my head no matter how hard i try.....lol...i know, i'm crazy for it, but i just can't shake that mindset....so unless red star comes with a kit i happen to be making, i always buy and use lavlin when i am making any of my other wines....

Yup, bread yeast is what they are more famous for. I know that others have had good results with red star, I just feel that I get better results with Lalvin. (just my opinion).

Yup, bread yeast is what they are more famous for. I know that others have had good results with red star, I just feel that I get better results with Lalvin. (just my opinion).

well john, when it comes to this subject, you and i seem to be of like mindedness....lol...i remember the 1st kit i did....it was a WE vintner's reseve liebfraumilch....opened the box, saw the packet of red star yeast, and kinda scatched my head at first, wondering when a bread yeast maker started making wine yeasts....lol...what did i know at the time???....lol...and to this day i just can't shake that stigma...

I've never used Cote des Blancs, but Pasteur Red is good for making full-bodied dry red wines. The thing about it is that it is a high foamer, so be ready to see a lot of foam in your primary even to the point of blowing over.

I used Pasteur Red on my Premier Burgundy and it really produced a nice wine, one of the best batches I've ever made.

I have used Red Star exclusively up to this point, Premier Cuvee and Montrachet. I have only had one problem and that was easily solved. I had a recent "rotten egg" smell with the Montrachet but that was solved with some splash racking.

I will probably try some Lalvin yeast on my next order, I hear nothing but good things about it.
Cuvee is the same strain as 1118 just different manufactures

I have used both the lalvine ec-1118 and the red star premier cuvee. I had an issue 1 time with a lalvin that would not start fermentation. The company was very slow about getting back to me and eventually - sent me a couple of replacement packages of yeast about a month later - big deal. I needed the yeast asap. since then i always have an extra pack or two around as needed. cheaper to toss out or add to an new yeast batch than to not have it. However i tend to stick with red star for my needs at present. I just thought that lalvin was very slow to respond and really arrogant to deal with too.

hmmmm,

K-9, I have never had to deal with Lalvin (the company) directly. Did you try the distributor from whom you made the purchase?

See now I have bascially always used Red Star and have never had an issue. I have made kits that have had Lalvin and have had no issue either but if I am getting it for a wine I am making from scratch I use Red Star. Just MHO.

Latest posts

Back