Cellar Craft Red Mnt Cab - bitter at bottling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-winer

Reaction score
Is it normal for this wine to be slightly bitter at bottling? I started this kit in June and just now bottled it. I made this according to instructions but added an oak spiral because I like lots of oak. Do you think the bitter taste is because of the extra oak I added? I just assumed that this kit could handle more oak. I also added some extra Kmeta while bulk aging. Just a 1/8th of a tsp.

I don't think the K-meta caused you any problem. What type of oak did you use. Maybe it was too strong (toasted) for the wine. If it is the oak, it should mellow out over time.

I would not bottle any wine you are not happy with. Look into Joeswine "tool box" or PM him
Need more info brand and what U did.

Could still just be green. This is a big kit and its only 6 mo old. That spiral could also be affecting the flavor profile. If you added a spriral on top of the supplied, that is A LOT OF PLYWOOD! Lets hope its just still green. Did you bottle some splits to test at 12mo etc.?

I got a feeling like I over oaked it. I did not do splits but will avoid opening for a year or so since i have lots of supply right now. It was a toasted oak spiral - just one for the 6 gallons. I hope it mellows out over time. Thanks all.

I have never made Red Mountain kit, but I have had their grapes once and I felt they were a little bitter, It was just my taste buds as far as I can tell. I get grapes in Walla Walla and Prosser now. Evil add here, Red Mountain is next to huge pile of Radio active waste and some of that waste was buried inside Red Mountain. Now in addition to a Hydrometer you need a Geiger Counter. :)

There is no rad waste buried in the Red Mountain AVA. There is plenty 30 miles North in Hanford however.

Hey, 30 miles is close enough when your talking nuclear weapons right........?

I have a low level nuke dump 5 miles away from my municipal water source. Hence my on screen name, or at least one reason for it!

one mans sour is another mans sweet

if you dont like the way youre wine tastes wait 15 min(15months) it will get better

Latest posts

Back