reccomend a book

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
can ya'll tell me a good book, that will tell me in kinda small words,,,lol
about what chemicals and uses of and when to use, for wine making , bulk aging and so forth, I read many post on here trying not to ask to many stupid questions, I've got several recipe books, but I'd like a book to explain things like my sulfates, additives to add an so forth, so as not to oxidized and the rest of the garment,,, does wine making for dummies cover these things, or maybe a different book and where to purchase it,,, any and all help greatly needed,,,,,,:h

richard

I suggest making an inexpensive kit, like Island Mist, then a more expensive kit without grape skins, and then an expensive kit with skins.

After that, have at it with frozen juice buckets, fresh juice, and then fresh grapes.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/common-terms-4440/
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f5/book-beginners-3394/

As you research each one, you will slowly learn, learn by doing, and learni technique. If you make a mistake with a cheap kit, not as much is lost, and you drink it quicker to minimize problems that take time to develop. You can also slowly build your investment into equipment.

:btI tend to make country wines from fruit from my land,
apple.. crab apple,, pear,, peach,, mulberry,, blackberry,, elderberry,, wild grapes,,, and a few fresh planted coming in the near future,, muscadines, and Baltic grapes,,,, and am planting plums and cherries this coming spring, I've yet to get around to kits although I did buy some cherry an strawberry concentrates ,,,,:bt

Try "the Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry Garey. It got me started and is exceptionally easy to read/follow.

It goes through everything from equipment, chemicals, basic fermentation to making more 'complicated' ports and sherries.

Try "the Joy of Home Winemaking" by Terry Garey. It got me started and is exceptionally easy to read/follow.

It goes through everything from equipment, chemicals, basic fermentation to making more 'complicated' ports and sherries.

thank you book ordered:dg

I hope these will keep me from pestering ya'll to death with stupid questions,,,:h

richard

I hope you enjoy it! I really appreciate the dry sense of humour that comes through in her writing.

Next best will be The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm. The man is a mead genius. Give him a go after Terry if you're looking to further your knowledge a bit more in that area.

Latest posts

Back