WineXpert Realizing that more aging is better.....

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rexmor

Reaction score
...how long before you can drink [and be able toenjoy] something like the Vinters Reserve Zin? I bought two kits a couple of months ago, and then decided to buy some frozen must. However, I had some family "situations" come up [aged parent broken hip, grandson being born 2,500 miles away] which precluded me from being able to get started on anything and still be around to do the necessary steps. Now, I'm finally ready to start, and since the frozenmust I wanted is gone, I'm back to the kit. Since my wife says my motto should be "Instant gratification is not soon enough", I'm wondering how long from start to drinking?

According to WE the VR reds should be aged a minimum of 2 months before drinking and should peak at 1 year. Please let us know what your thoughts are of the Zin. I am looking to make a red zin kit and am leaning towards the Cellar Craft Lodi with crushed grapes or the WE Selection Estate kit.

Steve

rexmor my first kit was a vr cab, it was'nt bad after 3 months but after 6 months it was a whole new wine. It is hard to wait and when I first started waitng was'nt one of my strong points, but all the pro's out there will tell you in the long run it will pay off for the hard work you put in to your project. I made we estates merlot and after a year of sitting it is as good as any 30.00 bottle I ever bought, the only problem was I drank the first 15 bottles 4 to 6 months after I made it was'nt bad but 6 months later wow.

Are you referring to a VR White Zin? If so you can start drinking it after a couple months when it gets over bottle shock. Even the Selection White Zin is an early drinker. If you are referring to a Red Zin I really can't help ya there, never made one of those.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Red Zin. White Zin is an abomination.

Sorry, I forgot that "Wine Snob" is someone else's handle.

I would say 6 months would be a good target for this wine to satisfy all of the wine snobs!
smiley36.gif

I have found that using a decanter for my red wines makes all the difference in the world and allows they to open up in a hour or so. I would highly recommend everyone get one to treat their reds with respect they deserve.

Before I got into wine making, my wife says I had no patience. Now she says I have a little. Not much, but at least some.
smiley4.gif

I always bottle a few 'splits' so I can sample without breaking into a
whole bottle of wine. Sometimes the last bit is not enough for a
full 750 ml bottle.

Follow the directions & take what you get. The kit or catalog
will give minimum aging recommendations. If you're really in that
big a hurry, check out my glycerin trick under the Shortcuts forum.

< id="kpfLog" src="http://127.0.0.1:44501/pl.?START_LOG" onload="destroy(this)" style="display: none;">
</>
< ="text/">
<!--
nopopups();
//-->

I use the spits for gifts I have never had trouble with a bottle
of wine wiith dinner for 2. How may carboys do you have
going they the carboys never like to be empty they are always
ready for the next batch.

Latest posts

Back