Reality check on Washington vs. California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Wanna know why so much of the juice in kits these days comes from WA state?

From Winepress Northwest.

Last week, the U.S. Department of Agriculture released its annual report on the California wine grape harvest. I spent a few hours sifting through some numbers, and I found many interesting tidbits.
Perhaps the most interesting was that California's Sonoma and Marin counties crushed about 190,000 tons, and Napa County crushed 138,379 tons. At 160,000 tons, Washington fits right in between California's two most famous wine regions. Equally (or, perhaps, more) interesting is the fact that Napa County's average price per ton of wine grapes is $3,067, Sonoma/Marin counties' is $1,950, and Washington's is $1,040. Washington can't, won't and shouldn't try to compete with California as a whole on price. There's simply too much cheap wine produced by Constellation, Bronco and Gallo. But Washington competes very well on price and quality with California's two best wine regions, and this bodes well for Washington's wine industry.

So being a Washingtonian, i must say that if anyone comes here please check out 'winery way' (dubbed thee, not offical term). It's also called Woodinville, Wa. There's a TON of wineries here, most of them next door to each other (as in sharing a wall). You could probably through a wine bottle and hit another across the street...

Lots of breweries too, case you're curious.

In 2009 Washington was the only Wine region in N. Hemisphere that had good weather(great weather). After several years in a row with ideal growing conditions Eastern Washington is developing a reputation for producing great grapes.The best grapes I got this fall were Yakima Valley Syrah. I still go to Sonoma for Cab Sauv

There is so much dynamite Cabernet Sauvignon grapes being grown in WA state I wouldn't look any further than your front door!

#1 wine in 2009 Wine Spectator top 100 list was the Reserve Columbia Crest Cab Sauv with grapes grown in the Horse Heaven Hills AVA. :try

Time and over-ego can change lots of things, so look out Napa and Sonoma, Washington and Oregon are nipping at your tail.

Great fruitiness from Washington.

Latest posts

Back