California Grapes May Go Homeless!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe some excellent bargains in Kits this next year?

With the supply line of wine clogged, growers worry over who will buy their crop

Need Napa Cabernet grapes for harvest 2009? No problem. Russian River Pinot Noir can be had by the truckload. California is facing its worst oversupply of fine-wine grapes in decades. Veteran grower Andy Beckstoffer says it may be the worst market since the mid-1970s, when California wine was in its infancy and a considerably smaller industry. While that's bad news for growers, consumers are in for a potential bonanza in the next year or two.

With harvest just weeks away, contracts typically would have been signed months ago, but growers in Napa, Sonoma and beyond have been left hanging, along with their grapes. The problem is the recession. Consumers are buying less wine in the $20 and higher range, and many wineries, retailers and wholesalers have a backlog of inventory.

Just consider the going rate for Napa Cabernet Sauvignon: In 2008, the average price per ton was $4,689, according to the state's official crop report. While prime vineyards are still going for a premium, online classified ads are offering hillside Napa Cabernet for $2,000 a ton.

High-end Cabernet from Napa and high-end Pinot Noir, particularly from Sonoma County, are taking the biggest hit. Central Coast Chardonnay is also in oversupply, according to Steve Fredricks, managing partner of San Francisco-based Turrentine Wine Brokerage.

Full Article here:

http://www.winespectator.com/webfeature/show/id/40486

Based on that, we'd hope to see lower prices from Peter Brehm's frozen pails.

Now I just need a large refrigerated truck and the time to drive out to Cali. :) I'm curiouc to see if wineries will hold steady for better profit margins when sales pick up in the future or if they will adjust prices down. I'm sure it just depends on the state of the individual business as to whether it can weather the sales slump. I've been picking up $48-$150 bottles for 50%+ off recently and have been enjoying that. The funny part about wine is this - no matter what I pay for a $60 bottle of wine, it's still the same wine inside.
smiley20.gif

- Jim

You are seeing what has been the dilemna of countless farmers in the past and the present. The price received doesn't necessarily reflect the true value of what the crop is worth. The price for the raw product may decrease, but others in the pipeline might not see it for that. They may have additional costs such as higher packaging, advertising and transportation costs, not to mention wanting to maintain their margin of profit. These factors may increase the price even though the grower is getting less.

While the cost of grapes is down, the credit cost is huge.

Lots of small companies in the supply pipeline are being squeezed by a lack of & cost of lines of credit.

Tack on the price of Diesel and other petroleum distilates.

Not to mention, new labor roles and oversight

And it certainly hasn't dropped the price of grapes in the stores. At least not in my area!

Latest posts

Back