Real Names

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only use handles. I'm not on facebook. I try very hard to limit the amount of information about me out there. FYI Facebook and some of the other so called real name sites are only real name if that is what you want to use. No one from these sites stops by and checks your ID!

I'm sorry everyone but I had no intentions on making this a "real names" community. It was just more of an open discussion about the direction of the Internet.

I don't know people, but it seems to me that our community is whatever each of us want it to be. If you want ot use a "handle," do so. If you want to use your real name, do so. What is the issue?

I don't know people, but it seems to me that our community is whatever each of us want it to be. If you want ot use a "handle," do so. If you want to use your real name, do so. What is the issue?

Rocky there is no issue. This was just a survey and open discussion asking people how they felt about something. Tx started a few other great threads like the first wine you made.

I don't know about conspiracies although we are all certainly complicit in destroying most versions of privacy - Whether we use EZ-Pass on inter-city roads or membership cards at supermarkets or ATM cards at banks or GPS enabled smartphones, or whether we enable access to our computers by cookies we provide many others (all strangers) with access to very intimate information about ourselves and our movements. But that said, there are occasions where the use of "real names" will likely dampen valuable online discussion and occasions where the use of "usernames" very likely encourages trolling, flaming and and incivility. And while I do think that we all need to think about the pros and cons that anonymity provides I also think that the use of monickers does perhaps offer a smidge more than an illusion of privacy to those who feel naked when they are asked to use their given names in any discussion group.

My name is Olustee bus.

Not really, I am Buster and I live in Olustee - Florida, where it is legal for an individual to make wine

I always LOL at the handles anyway, because IP addresses let anyone who can get it track anyone down. There are a bunch of ways to get them if one is clever and persistent, and of course, any mod has access to that info.

I know a mod on another site who was physically threatened online by a user in an entirely different state. User was very surprised when a sheriff's deputy knocked on his door a few days later.

But handles can keep one's ID away from casual users.

I'm sorry everyone but I had no intentions on making this a "real names" community. It was just more of an open discussion about the direction of the Internet.

I can't use my real name!!! Could you imagine a pilot talking about his Pee not clearing and having a Egg smell??? :) not to mention the "how much do you dirnk" poll ;)

I don dzrink as mush when i godda fry..you know??!!! I haffa be sponsable an sit. :) :) :)

I don't think it matters, I started with the handle cause everyone else was using one. But I'm thinking if I mess up one of my wines everyone will know, but only here and not reminded about it all the other places I go. But how else will I know if I messed up. I'm here to get help in my new hobby. And I was told that it wasn't that expensive to start or do (my neighbor) but I got to have all the toys. Just like I have dozens of 12' tape measures and paint scrapers (use to be a carpenter, electrician and plumber but needed insurance). Now I've got a lot of those bottle openers you keep in your pocket. Many years ago, my brother and his wife gave us a very nice wine bottle opener. I said at that time (not to them) I'll never use this thing. I'm thinking it'll be warn out by the end of the year.

Latest posts

Back