Ready to rack?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lars Grogan

Junior
Reaction score
Working with a Sangiovese concentrate on my second batch, ever. Started 3 weeks ago on primary fermentation with a s.g. of 1.130. After two weeks, it was at 1.060...still foamy on the top and bubbling in the airlock. Gave it another week...s.g. is 1.050. No more bubbling appearing on the surface or in the airlock. I keep reading you really want to get s.g. to 0.99x. Is that critical? I'm worried about leaving it too long with the sediment and that having an impact on taste. I think racking it now would mean I end up with a really sweet wine (maybe closer to a part, maybe)? But, still figuring out the science here. If I don't rack it and try to bring the s.g. down further for a more dry wine, do I just add more yeast to force more fermentation? Appreciative in advance of what I know will be some great guidance. Thank you!

I agree with all of the above. What yeast did you use? You may need a high potency yeast, such as Lalvin EC-1118, and read the yeast starter documentation @sour_grapes posted.

Also, what is the temperature? If it's below 70 F, put it some place warmer, around 80 F if you can. Stir daily.

At this point you have a dessert wine. I trust @Ajmassa's math on the ABV, so it's likely this wine will end up off-dry if you can restart the fermentation. This probably wasn't your original intention, but you will probably get a good result.

BTW, try for between 1.075 and 1.100 for the OG.

20/20 hindsight of course but as Winemaker81 wrote - even if you are going for a high ABV, don't start out with all the sugar in the batch. Keep the OG down to 1.100 and just step feed it. I prefer to step feed when my wine is in the 1.040 - 1.050 range where the yeast is still rolling along at a fast clip. Even if I have to do 2 step feedings to get to the ABV - I've had less than stellar outcomes on wine that I started out above 1.110. Also Temp and Yeast selection are two critical items make sure both the temp ranges of the yeast and ABV tolorance and are well within what you are going to have.

Latest posts

Back