Ready to bottle 1st fruit wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vernsgal

Just me
Reaction score
I did up a banana wine as my 1st fruit wine (not counting DB)back at the beginning of November. In mid Dec. I stabilized and degassed adding 1 1/2 tsp. of pot. sorbate and then added kieselsol & chitosan (no sparkolloid on hand) since then I have had it sitting in a cool dark room.It is crystal clear and sitting at an SG of .990. What if anything should I add before filtering/bottling?I plan on letting it bottle age at least a year.

I would add 1/4 tsp k meta to the carboy before bottling. It holds down oxidation. Add the k meta to your bottling carboy and rack over on top of it.

Have you tasted it? I've never done banana on its own, but people I've talked to say it has no real flavor. If that is the case, you may wish to back sweeten it with brown sugar or maple syrup or molasses to add flavoring elements. Or even some other exotic flavor, like sno-cone syrup. Upon aging, the flavors will only grow richer.

Definitely steal a little and adjust to taste.

Are you planning to sweeten it? It doesn't sound like you did so I'm wondering why you added the sorbate?

I would add 1/4 tsp k meta to the carboy before bottling. It holds down oxidation. Add the k meta to your bottling carboy and rack over on top of it.

Have you tasted it? I've never done banana on its own, but people I've talked to say it has no real flavor. If that is the case, you may wish to back sweeten it with brown sugar or maple syrup or molasses to add flavoring elements. Or even some other exotic flavor, like sno-cone syrup. Upon aging, the flavors will only grow richer.

Definitely steal a little and adjust to taste.

I've got a batch that will make you retract that one. :ft
it too 35 lbs of peeled bananas for a 5 gallon batch but after aging a bit you can open the bottle and hear monkeys in the background coming for a banana. :db :D

Thanks, I did steal a taste "of course." I had added vanilla beans and apple concentrate and it's a bit mellow but you can taste them.If I add some brown sugar to it do I make like a simple syrup with it? and how much would you suggest for 5 gal?

Are you planning to sweeten it? It doesn't sound like you did so I'm wondering why you added the sorbate?

sorry I hit the wrong button and it posted before I answered. I did add the apple concentrate so before doing so I added the sorbate.

So you sweetened it with the apple concentrate and that is why you used the sorbate. If you want it sweeter, do a bit of bench tasting. Put some of your wine in several glasses and add a bit of the sugar. Taste, add some more and taste. Get it to where you like it. Make enough so you can get a S.g. reading and you will know where you want to bring the rest of the wine up to. I'm not sure as I have never used brown sugar to sweeten, but it mite make your wine a bit cloudy and you mite have to wait for it to clear again. One more thing, after you post the post has a edit button on the bottom. You can change the post by pushing it. No big deal, it works the way you did it too. Arne.

I've got a batch that will make you retract that one. :ft
it too 35 lbs of peeled bananas for a 5 gallon batch but after aging a bit you can open the bottle and hear monkeys in the background coming for a banana. :db :D

Did you note what was written in my post?

I've never done banana on its own, but people I've talked to say it has no real flavor.

Just for the record.

I think poor banana gets a bump rep from people not using enough. I have to check my notes but the banana wine has a strong banana flavor. It is still young and still ageing in the carboy but the last time we racked it had a strong flavor which with no sugar was almost repellent. Hopefully once it is old enough and sweetened in will taste yummy. I do think with all the banana flavor it has that we may sweeten it with brown sugar and maybe fortify with some rum to make a banana foster wine.

Thanks again everyone. I wasn't really wanting a banana taste which is why I added no peel and then the vanilla and apple.You can faintly taste the vanilla now so I'm hoping with age the two will come together. I do like the sno-cone syrup idea. I see more bananas heading this way ...:db

You can also use flavored coffee syrups. I did a raspberry lemonade that I added a bottle of syrup to. Turned out wonderful.

Unbelievable how you guys can come up with all these great recipe ideas. So glad I joined this forum! Unfortunately now I spend all night lying in bed wondering what to make next.

Back