Raspberry Wine Suggestions?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokegrub

Reaction score
I am planning on the following wine:

10 (11.5 oz) cans Welch's Frozen 100% White Grape Raspberry Concentrate
2 (1 lb) jars raspberry preserves
10 very ripe bananas (peeled; mashed)
15 oz white raisins (finely chopped)
Water to 6 gallons
Sugar to SG 1.080
6 t acid blend
6 t pectic enzyme
5 t yeast nutrient
6ed Star Cote des Blanc or Premier Cuvee wine yeast
6 Campden tablets (crushed)

Any suggestions and especially on the amount of pectic enzyme.Edited by: Smokegrub

I would not just add acid at that amount but let it sit just till before adding yeast and add accordingly by checking titratable acid. My last batch I did not add any acid blend and it was already a little high. This was about 18 lbs of fresh fruit but it just goes to show you.

Good advice. I tasted the must w/o the acid blend and the acid was needed. The must with the acid tasted great. I also doubled the pectic enzyme because of the preserves.

Smokegrub,

Do you have any grocery stores where you live that carry Oregon brand canned fruit? If so, I'd opt for a few cans of the Red Raspberries instead of the preserves (just my preferrence). I made 6 gallons from these (24ea. 15oz cans) and boosted the flavor with 1/2 pint of red raspberry concentrate from Brownwood Acres. This was the best red raspberry wine I've ever had!

Primary fermentation went very quickly--3 days. I cautiously added 1/4 cup more sugar out of concern that although the SG indicates it is time to transfer, the taste of the must says little alcohol. I figured if I erred the effect would be minimal with that small amount of additional sugar. I plan to rack to a secondary today. I will have to be cautious and leave plenty of headspace because the bananas have created a somewhat thick, slimy cap--I don't want to create a mess with an overflowing carboy! Thus, I will probably have to divide the must between two secondaries at least for a few days and then recombine. More later.Edited by: Smokegrub

Smokegrub,
I made a raspberry blush from half Welches Niagara and half Niagara/red raspberry. It came out really nice, pretty blush color and I was surprised at how much the raspberry flavor came through. I did it this way because i thought the raspberry would be over powering and I think it would have if I would have used all Niagara/raspberry, unless that is what you want. Keep me posted on how yours comes along. I was very happy with mine...................Ramona

I transferred the must to a 5-gallon and a 1-gallon secondary. The raisin bag and the bag that contained the preserves were not as "consumed" as I would have expected nevertheless I chucked them. I had to skim some of the "cap" off each or it would have foamed into the airlock. The must looks great and has a lot of lees even at this early stage. Fermentation is slow but steady. I will wait until it slows further and rack into clean secondaries.

Thanks for the feedback, Ramona.

Back