RASPBERRY/MERLOT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I started a raspberry wine...I am kind of short of bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate so I used a 46 oz can of inexpensive Alexanders Merlot juice in lieu of the usual 2 or 3 bottles of the WinExpert product.

I have never made a kit wine nor used any grape juices other than the WinExpert product...I found the Merlot juice a bit thinner, but the wine is really nice. It is not as dark as it usually gets with the WinExpert product...it fermented and cleared very quickly and is a very nice wine indeed.

I think I am going to try a batch of Raspberry with Cabernet grape juice soon and see how that turns out.

raspberrymerlotSmall.jpg
Edited by: Northern Winos

How big of a batch was that NW? I made a 3 gallon batch with 2 cans and it turned out very dark.

If you make that batch with the Ruby Cabernet, it will be excellent. The Ruby Cabernet juice has a lot of fruitiness all it's own. I would take it easy with the raspberry so as to not overpower things.

I made a6 gallon batch....11 quartsof raspberry juice [23#]and one can of Merlotjuice. I have a can of Cabernet Sauvignon, maybe will juice do a 5 gallon batch with it....have you tried that one with any fruit wines????

One can in 6 gallons, that's why it is lighter in color- the raspberry juice is dominant, but it is a little truer to raspberry that way. If you like the taste, that's what's important.

No I haven't done one with that particular juice, but it should be good too.

Looks like a great wine NW, and I think the Cab would be very good with a raspberry, or a good zinfandel if it's available.

NW how did this wine turn out? Dou you have it bottled yet and if so how long. Have you sampled any yet?

I was trying to decide what to drink tonight and decided to grab a bottle out of a box of Chablis. What is this I asked myself? Nice dark ruby purple instead of the normal pink color. I looked at the label and said "How the heck did this get in here?" It was a labeled bottle of 2005(bottled January 2005) Merlot that I made from Wade's Favorite Alexander's Merlot Concentrate. 2 cans in 3 gallons. What a nice surprise, i really enjoy them but was down to just a few bottles until finding this one. I opened it up and took a whiff. Very fruity on the nose. I didn't oak this one any so the fruitiness really comes through. The predominant flavors and aromas are black cherry, raspberryand then a nice deep ripe plum. Very nice.

So I am interested how this wine turned out putting it in raspberry wine. Could turn out vry nice.

I need some one to send a good bottle of this stuff to me to change my mind cause the last 2 I tried were no where near what a kit tastes like. If you need 2 cans per 3 gallons and then all the extras though is it really worth it? I do like the idea of adding to a fruit wine for some body and to change things up like NW did, that i understand.

The wine was very nice...but....I think next time I will use 2 cans of Alexander's Merlot and maybe 2 bottles of WinExpert Red Grape Concnentrate.....then drop the raspberry juice to maybe only 6 quarts....the first batch I thought was a little thin.....

I have since made a Cabernet Sauvignon/Raspberry...it went like:
2 cans Alexanders Cabernet Sauvignon
1 500 mil bottle of WinExpert Red Grape Concentrate
6 Quarts Raspberry juice ...to 6 gallons.
Andadded 'theusual cast of characters' that we all add to a must.
As well, it got toasted oak, vanilla beans a few peppercorns and toasted coffee beans.

It is in the clearing stage and is really a very nice wine...might be 'one of our finest'.

I am planning a batch of Burgundy/Strawberry and the recipe will be as above.....then another Merlot/Raspberry...also as above.

Those cans of juice added to a fruit wine are nice....but I am thinking of maybe trying an inexpensive wine kit and add some fruit juice to kick it up.

So many wines...so many possiblities...and only one lifetime.

Back