Rasberry Merlot - Summer Breeze Kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
My directions tell me to rack the wine into a carboy when the SG is below 1.020, which I have done with the SG at 1.014. But since the original batch size was 22L instead of the regular 23L, about a qt shy of the 6 Gallons, should I be concerned that the "head space" between my Stopper and the surface of the wine is much greater then 2"( about 5"). I don't have a smaller bottle at this time to put 5 gallons in and keep the remainder in a few smaller carboys.

The SG is now(1/20/09), .998 and as been there for 2 days.

For those that may be unfamiliar with this wine there is a F pack,(1L), to add when fermentation is complete which would get me to the 6 gallons .

Is the fermentation complete at this point?
Should I stabilize, degas, and add the flavor pack and then allow it to settle for the remainder of the time that the directions call for?
Or, will I be OK to let it stand the way it is for a few more days and then rack again .... Suggestions please????

You are good so far. You just need to add a bottle of simurlar wine. You could add clean non painted marbles to top off. or you can add water. I personally would not add water. However some will say that you can not tell the difference. You can add store bought wine.
It could be finished.It could still go lower. I would wait a few more days then proceed as you have discribed.

If you sg stays the same for 3 days in a row, then the ferm is complete. You have a ton of co2 in there, so as long as you don't take the airlock off and stir/degas, you should be protected. I did help a friend with a kit last week, and when it came time for the f-pack we had to remove about a quart to fill with the f-pack. I think you will be alright when you go to add the f-pack as it should get you closer to the bung and airlock .

Is the fermentation complete at this point?
Should I stabilize,
degas, and add the flavor pack and then allow it to settle for the
remainder of the time that the directions call for?
Or, will I be OK to let it stand the way it is for a few more days and then rack again .... Suggestions please????</font>

If your sg stays at .998 for the next two days then you should continue on and follow the directions in your packet on stabilizing, degassing and the F-pack.

Are you saying that you believe it is finished fermenting at this point and therefor just needs to settle out now? and...

If I add water to the amount that is in the carboy won't that dilute it to much and therefore affect flavor, etc down the road?
and when it comes to the adding of the flavor pack in a few weeks I won't have room for all of it without "wasting" some of my new wine.....

If I add the water, do I boil it 1st, then allow it to cool to room temp, then mix it in the carboy well?

I really have no other wines to put with it that are similar ....

Sorry bout all the questions just new at this
smiley1.gif

Keep it in there for the stated time and do not worry about the headspace. Don't rush it, it may have a bit of time left if it is only .998. Do like gaudet says and don't open it. It is protected for now. Just continue with the rest of the directions at the stated times. The f-pack will fill it up for the clearing stage. It will be a very nice wine when done.

DO NOT ADD WATER at this point!!!!!! It won't be needed.

Agree with Appleman, The f-packs are rather large plus you need room for degassing and the addition of the fining agents also.

Once I get to the point where I have Stabilizing the wine, should I keep it at a cooler temp then I have for Fermentation, maybe 65 deg. I don't remember the directions telling whether I should reduce the temp or not, but everything I'm reading says that the "Lees" will fall out better/ Faster if it is kept a bit cooler .... Is this correct?

Follow the instructions as different fining agents require different specifications. They do not have these instructions on their website yet so I cant help you.

Degassing needs to be done at fermentation temps. Gasses ar more soluble in cold liquid than in warm, so cold wine is harder to degas.

Latest posts

Back