Raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ehlenrg

Junior
Reaction score
I've got 15 pounds of frozen cranberries and have been reviewing recipes. Some add golden raisins and some don't. What are the pros and cons of eithering adding raisins or not?

Raisins add body to the wine and cranberry needs body. You can also add
Welches Niagara frozen white grape juice concentrate to do this also.

You don't have to use golden raisins, you can use regular brown raisins. (Golden raisins, at least around here, are a lot more expensive.) When we use them we run them through the meat grinder first. Otherwise they just plump up and don't do you much good.

dried black currants are also an option. not sure but i think they are much sweeter.

Instead of adding raisins to recipes I add WinExpert Grape Concentrate...more expensive yes...but we like the body and color it adds...probably flavor too...
It is just a habit now to have 2 bottles on hand for each batch of wine....maybe a good habit...But, I see the price of it is raising...have bought out all my Food Co-op had on hand...waiting for more...stocking up mode.

PolishWineP said:
Which co-op? 

Harmony Foods in Bemidji....down by the lake, the street with Paul and Babe and the Big Indian statues...they have lots of food by bulk and cater to a beer making club and now have wine kits, wine making supplies, etc....but they don't have everything that we need....but, very handy for us.

I used white grape juice when i did cranberry. It seemed to work out just fine. I'm going to try some rasins next time...

ehlenrg said:
I've got 15 pounds of frozen cranberries and have been reviewing recipes. Some add golden raisins and some don't. What are the pros and cons of eithering adding raisins or not?

You might try 2 different batches..One with raisins and another without and see which you prefer.

Thanks everyone. First time I've tried any forum and I'm amazed at the speed and number of responses.

Thats what we do. were here to help anyone, including ourselves. We can
learn from you as well.Even with the best of efferts and knowledge, we
still make mistakes now and then and by learning from someone elses
mistakes, everyone learns.

Latest posts

Back