Other Raisins, Syrah or Cab Sauv grape pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiml

Reaction score
So for christmas my in-laws got me a gift certificate to amazon. I know these are probably not high quality kits but for the price with subscribe and save, I couldn't resist. So I order the kit below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001ELJKCI/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

As you can see it is an Italian Amarone kit. Just received it via FedEx. It does not have raisins or a grape pack. I have two kits under my belt now and I want to experiment a little.

Which do you think would be best to add, raisins, syrah or cab sauv grape packs? I am leaning towards raisins just based on the idea this is an amarone but I think a cab sav grape packs might give better body.

Any thoughts? If I were to do this, would I just not add as much water to bring it up to 6 gallons? This is a 16 liter kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would add 2# of raisins. Amarone should have a "raisiny" taste.
How often did you select for getting more kits of amarone?

I would add 2# of raisins. Amarone should have a "raisiny" taste.
How often did you select for getting more kits of amarone?

With amazon you can "subscribe and save" and immediately cancel after you receive your order. So I selected 6 months and I will cancel it in a few days.

I thought raisins might be the best choice but I thought I would ask anyways. Does anyone had any suggestions on what brand of raisins? I might just go to Whole Foods or another organic store to pickup some raisins in the hope that they aren't heavily sulfited. However, I will follow some of the instructions I read on this forum on dealing with raisins in general to get rid of some of the sulfites.

Part of the description ofs this kit is
All ingredients are 100% food grade OGM Free
Does anybody know what "OGM Free" means? Cause I keep thinking it means "free of Original Grape Material". :i

EDIT: I just figured it out "free of Organically Grown Material".

Steve

I think it has something to do with pesticides on the crops and those crops being genetically manufactured.

With amazon you can "subscribe and save" and immediately cancel after you receive your order. So I selected 6 months and I will cancel it in a few days.

I thought raisins might be the best choice but I thought I would ask anyways. Does anyone had any suggestions on what brand of raisins? I might just go to Whole Foods or another organic store to pickup some raisins in the hope that they aren't heavily sulfited. However, I will follow some of the instructions I read on this forum on dealing with raisins in general to get rid of some of the sulfites.
I get my raisins from Sams.
Be careful. LOOK and see if therearepreservatives in them. If so do not use. Look for the "dark" raisins

Thanks for the advice, I will check out costco next week sometime and see if they have any raisins that will work.

I've made some of these Amazon kits and you may also want to add some oak. Also I make these up as 5 gallon kits instead of 6 gallon.
Laura

Back